04 GT Clutch goin already?!

torchred

Feb 9, 2004
Clarksville, Tn
I'm getting a deffinite bearing noise coming from under the car lately. This sound comes from right around the bellhousing area. If i mess with the clutch pedal I can instantly turn the sound off and back on. So I know its probably throw out bearing related. This sound only becomes noticeable once the car has warmed up and been driven for a while.

My question is with the mods I've done is it worth my time to take it in to Ford or should I just go ahead and get a new clutch setup? Thinkin SPEC Stage II or III. Next year I plan on dropping a built 4V 4.6 into it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

548399_7_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

torchred said:
I'm getting a deffinite bearing noise coming from under the car lately. This sound comes from right around the bellhousing area. If i mess with the clutch pedal I can instantly turn the sound off and back on. So I know its probably throw out bearing related. This sound only becomes noticeable once the car has warmed up and been driven for a while.

A release bearing noise will be a rumble and will not go away if you load it by depressing the clutch pedal. In fact, it would get louder. If you're hearing a "chirping" noise the source is more likely a release arm pivot or TB-to-release arm contact. It's probably nothing at all to worry about. By loading the clutch pedal a bit, you put enough pressure on those points to stop the metal-to-metal sliding that's creating the chirp.

Unless the noise gets worse by loading the pedal or if the clutch itself starts slipping, I'd put money into making the car faster :D

The best way i learned to make the noise go away is tapping your toe up under the pedal to pull it up. When you put pressure on the pedal is when the noise developes.
I haven't noticed any drastic slipping yet, but lately i've been getting paranoid, cause of the noise, and thought i might be noticing a little.

Your throw out bearing is going. Mine went at 25000. The main cause is from resting your foot on the clutch while at a light. I caught myself doing this after I figured out the problem. The TB was replaced under warrenty with no porblem.

Thats what it sounds like to me. But what doesn't make sense is i'm very particular about spending as little time on the clutch as possible. Replaced the clutch on my old truck when i was a kid cause the previous owner rested on the pedal. So i learned my lesson there. Also I only have 15000 miles on the clutch! Oh well, i guess I'll be doin the clutch up. I want a higher performance one anyway. :)

Russ-4.6 said:
Your throw out bearing is going. Mine went at 25000. The main cause is from resting your foot on the clutch while at a light. I caught myself doing this after I figured out the problem. The TB was replaced under warrenty with no porblem.

You got your TB replaced under warranty???????? i had the same frikkin problem and ford told me that they could not do that for me as it is a WEAR AND TEAR ITEM ! I am so mad ! FORD really needs to make up there ***kin mind in what they will cover under warranty ... I HATE 128 FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just went ahead and bought a whole new clutch Centerforce Dual friction :nice:

My clutch made the noise since I bought my car three months ago. I figured it was the throw out bearing so instead of just replacing just the throw out bearing I bought the ford motorsports king cobra clutch and did the whole thing. I drove the car for about 1k miles and noticed the noice all over again. I am starting to think it is just a mustang thing???? Seems like everyone I hear makes bearing noise.

There are lots of mustangs around Clarksville and none of the guys i know have the problem. It could be a clutch cable adjustment problem. I've heard replacing your quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster helps you get your clutch set up right. Maybe this would solve our problems

Mine does it too. My cluch pedal also "chatters" if that makes sense. A mechanic lives next door and he thought it sounded like the throw-out bearing too. It's frustrating because I hate any kind of squeaks or rattles!! :bang: Mine started at about 40K, I guess. :shrug:

yup. sounds like throw out bearings all around. lol
well at least its an excuse to buy a meatier, meaner, clutch set up. :) all i need is half an excuse really and i'll go buy somethin. lol.
a TOB is not that expensive, it just doesn't seem worth it to me to open it all up and JUST replace the TOB.

SPEC is hit & miss. My 2000GT I used to have started chirping the TOB @ about 4000 miles. I let it chirp for another 30-something thousand miles before I ever decided to change the clutch. I put in a SPEC stage II, which began chirping it's TOB after 1000 miles even louder than the stock clutch. @ least the clutch grabbed hard as I've never felt from a clutch. But I also had the Steeda adjustable cable/quadrant, but it couldn't stop the TOB from squealing w/ the SPEC clutch. :shrug:

Mine does it aswell.I talked with the Ford Tech(service manager),and once i bring my stang out from storage(yap that time of the year for us Canadians :( ),they will replace it.This is the first clutch that did it to me,and it's still the factory clutch and throughout bearing to boot,and has low km's.My 5.0L never had a noisy throughout bearing with any clutch i installed :shrug: .
Just todays quality!! :nonono:

Thats garbage. First i find out about all the issues with the 3650 tranny and now this! Ford needs to look at DOING something about quality control. Love the mustang. Just hate the guys upstairs lookin to cut back on costs to make a profit. At the price of end user reliability. Sucks.