'04 GT w/ Valve Clatter?

Yellow2004GT

Oct 11, 2005
Here's the deal. If I'm at low RPMs (~1,100) and I go from barely open throttle to nearly WOT, I hear a pretty loud rattle. I let someone else hear it and he said that it's probably "valve clatter" and that I should run higher octane. Now, I've also heard that these cars come from the factory tuned for 87 octane and that running higher octane can hurt performance. Anyone have any experience with this? It's still under warranty, so I can take it in to the dealership and let them mess with it, but I'd like to hear what y'all think first. My only mods so far are weld-in Flowmasters, CAI, and a Tri-Ax, so I know it's probably not related to them. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

No, you don't run higher octane because you heard valve clatter. Higher octane is used only when you hear spark knock/pre-ignition.

I hope you're using the oil weight that the manual specifies. (5w-20) If you are, this might just be the loud fuel injectors that our engines have.

EDIT: Ah, you beat me to it.
I'll add that this "clatter" sounds sort of like an air leak.

No, I don't hear it during idle or anytime I'm over 1,300 RPM. It just recently started about 500 miles ago. I'm using the 5w20 stated on the oil filler cap. It's a pretty loud rattle, and it only happens when in gear. Has anyone heard whether or not Ford will do anything about this, assuming that they can? Someone mentioned an air leak. Can you be more specific, please? Thanks y'all. I appreciate the help.

Yellow2004GT said:
Here's the deal. If I'm at low RPMs (~1,100) and I go from barely open throttle to nearly WOT, I hear a pretty loud rattle. I let someone else hear it and he said that it's probably "valve clatter" and that I should run higher octane. Now, I've also heard that these cars come from the factory tuned for 87 octane and that running higher octane can hurt performance. Anyone have any experience with this? It's still under warranty, so I can take it in to the dealership and let them mess with it, but I'd like to hear what y'all think first. My only mods so far are weld-in Flowmasters, CAI, and a Tri-Ax, so I know it's probably not related to them. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

93 octane will not hurt performance

Well, I guess it was detonation. I ran Premium on the way home from Austin to Houston and it was immediately better. I had never heard detonation before and just assumed it would be louder. Any-who, it's better now. Thanks for all of the help.