04 Mach 460 HELP!!!!!

lilstangbaby004

Feb 1, 2006
alright i have a 2004 ford mustang with the mach 460 stereo system and i want to replace my cd player to a pioneer. i have been to three places and they all say i have to have everything rewired and it is gonna cost over 100 dollars.... does any one know where i can get a wiring harness or whatever i need..

• Sponsors (?)

the mach 460 setup is going to be very hard if not impossible to integrate with a new deck. Yes you can buy a wiring harness like i did but then you loose all power to your amps in the trunk which drive your woofers. Also not to mention that even if you do integrate it the stock head unit was eq'd to those speakers. I dont know about your aftermarket deck but i really hope it has at least a 5 band equalizer. It will in the long run be easier rewire your 8 mach speakers right into the deck and bypass the two amps in the trunk. That way if you do not like the sound from the machs (and chances you wont) you can upgrade them easily. with all that said, the tweeters do make a nice mid range and i use them in my car still.

The Mach 460 is not a hard system to do a deck swap. There are really only two things that you need:

1. METRA 70-5519 Harness
2. New Mounting Bracket to fill the hole and mount the new unit.

In short, that harness, and it is the ONLY one that is going to work, will connect your head unit's amplifier to drive the tweeter speakers. The subs will be powered through the head unit's sub preamp out. The harness provides the proper RCA connections for the preouts.

Then it's just a matter of soldering up the wires from the new harness to your head unit's cabling.

However, there is one important detail:

You need to either purchase some inline bass blockers for the tweeter speakers, or buy a head unit that has the ability to set custom crossover settings. This is to keep you from driving a stong bass signal into those speakers, which is a bad thing on a component system. Read the tech article as mentioned below for more details on that.

Tech Article Says It All!
http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/Replacing-Your-2001-Mach-460-Head-Unit.html

Worked perfect for me and my 03' GT. I installed my Alpine CDA-9813, and it sounds a lot better than with the stock head unit. I did have to tweak the crossover settings, eq, gains, etc, for a lil bit, but the effort was well worth it!

Crutchfield and 5.0 Mustang team up for sound project

I am currently in the same position. In my case the cd disc changer is burning out (eating cd's, etc) and I've said enough is enough. I plan on going with the new Alpine CDA-9857 unit. While looking this up I came across this article:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-8k9Xcrz4czv/reviews/mustang_custom.html?page=1

Crutchfield and 5.0 Mustang teamed up to do a custom stereo build on an 02 GT that had a 460 system in it. There solution to the 460 system problem? Scrap the stock amps and install a Rockford Fosgate unit. This is obviously more expensive, but it might make your life a lot easier, even if you use the stock component speaker system. With all I've read about the 460 system, the wiring is more convoluted than the effort for most people. If you are a true hardcore diy than the project is a good challenge for a weekend. Anyway, hope the article helps.

things you need.

my brother own an 02gt with the 460 6disc cd player.a few months ago he went to a stereo shop here in fresno ca to install his alpine deck.it sounded like crap.no bass at all,had to keep it on low otherwise the sound would be distorted.i went to reinstall the factory stereo and found the rear amps were gone.got those back from the stereo shop.in order to install an after market deck that will power the factory 460 amps/speakers you need a 94-98 factory mach 460 front under dash amp.that amp powers the two in the rear.it was very easy to install and sounds great.

The 04's use a different jack for the amp-turn on. I couldn't find the part for the female adapter, so I butchered the jack from the back of the Mach460 deck and wired it up based on the jack for previous years (same wire layout, different color wires and shape jack though!).

The main harness connector might be different also - the one I used was listed for use on 05/06 Mustang GT's.

BennyDaBall said:
The main harness connector might be different also - the one I used was listed for use on 05/06 Mustang GT's.
I have that harness in my 06 and WILL NOT power up the amps or the stock subs in the doors in the rear. The plug only supplys power,ground,and the 4 speakers(highs)I had to rewire everything else and remove the Shaker 1000 stock 4 amps in the trunk.

the amp is WITHIN the 99 and up headunit.that amp sends the power and audio signal to the rear amps.i have the wiring already figured out,but cant find the paper.i,ll keep looking for them to try to help out more.