04 Mustang GT Headers

JMstang7

Jan 14, 2009
Baltimore
I am looking to put a set of shorty headers on my 04 Mustang GT. I was wondering witch set I should go with. Should I go with JBA shorties. Or BBK Shorties? Let me know what set would be better. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Those are dyno results for the mid lengths not the shortys. The BBK aren't smog legal so you will still have to swap them so if thats what you are going for then the JBA are they way to go. They do sound a lot better then stock.

Those are dyno results for the mid lengths not the shortys. The BBK aren't smog legal so you will still have to swap them so if thats what you are going for then the JBA are they way to go. They do sound a lot better then stock.

the Cat4ward are shortys. They're dynos of the shorty headers on different cars though (05 mustang and F-150) but still, you can imagine the numbers would be similar.

05must_1675.jpg

05f150dyno.jpg

if nothing else, shorty headers are quite a bit lighter than the stockers. If you get 10 hp from the headers and lose 20 pounds off the nose of the car you win. Especially if you aren't dragging over every driveway and speed bump.

The evidence shows that shorty headers are an improvement over stockers on a dyno. For the same cost and less gains, many people happily throw on over-sized throttle bodies and plenums. And they don't benefit from any weight savings. Installation may be a hassle, but it's a one-time thing.

Long tubes are better for power, I don't think anyone argues the point. But they cost significantly more, especially considering the fact that you need to replace at least the mid-pipe as well. And anyone who needs to pass California-like emissions has few other choices, regardless of opinions. And it's not like nobody lives in California :/

Why do you want to go with shorty headers? They offer virtually no performance gain and the sound difference is minimal. Why not longtubes?

Sound difference is arguably louder than long tubes. Plus have you ever swapped out a clutch with long tubes? K-member and long tubes have to be removed to drop the trans.