04 SVT Cobra vs. 04 Sti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my friends were had a huge argument at the lunch table today. Half of my friends said that an SVT would beat it, the other half said the Sti would. 1/4 for svt: 12.9 1/4 for sti: 13.0. Too close to tell. Which one is faster. I know the svt has 90 more horses, but the sti has awd which makes it faster off the line. If you were to decide between the two, which one and why.

• Sponsors (?)

cobra seen both in action. have seen both race just never against eachother. Depends on driver but if equal ability drivers the the cobra he would just see some tail lights out of the whole then cobra would catch up fast and the STi would never recover. JUST MY OPINION!!!

Personally, if both cars were sitting next to each other, I wouldn't even take a look at the Sti. I'd be proud to own an 04 Cobra, especially knowing that there is easy potential for more power. I'm guessing the handling on a Cobra would be better, let alone the feel of the V8.

If for no other reason......EXHAUST! Fart pipes are not cool and do not instill fear like the proper piping of a powerful V8.

If a Cobra is a tad quicker, it might as well win by a mile. Most who will own an Sti probably won't be able to drive it well. Instead of learning to drive quick and smooth, they'll be too busy farting around with wings, stickers, neon lights, and other crap. The Cobra should prove to age a lot better.

The reason I see an sti killin the snake on the street is because an RWD car cant duplicate their 60' time on the street as they can at the track. An sti can pull 1.7's out their ass any day of the the week on any pavement. But your right, still drivers race either way. But equal drivers on the street I still say the sti will win. But id drop 2k into the cobra and be done with it. Argument over.

I think the numbers your reading are from car&driver, or road&track. they always dog the mustang, and never get good times from them even the reports are negative. Even chevy mags, hotrod & pop. hot rod, ect. get mid 12 at least in the 03 cobras.

the C&D/R&T guys also use a "spinning" start which is going to kill the mustangs numbers and the sti well its all wheel drive kinda hard to F' up that launch. Look at the mph, and then the 60ft. They suck at driving a mustang.

Well driven Cobra = 12.9 @ 110mph

Well driven STi = 13.0 @ 102mph

Its a drivers race to the 1/4 mile, but from any kind of roll, even 5mph, the Cobra ownz the STi. Take it to the road course or auto-x and the STi regains the advantage. You cant really compare them because they are so different.

BnGRacing said:
Take this into consideration: the car has to get to the finish! STIs like chewing up 2nd gear, grenading LSDs, snapping axles and some have had leaking turbos. Quality stuff!!!
Where did you get that from? I know the WRX's are like this but the STi has a totally different 6 speed transax, axles, center diff, everything is beefed up just like in the Cobra. I dont believe it.

..and the STi traps more like 105-106.

Being i have a mustang and a wrx.. i would say the cobra on the strip but if you add a few curves to the discussion its a whole different ballgame .. I can't hate on any car.. I love the power of my stang and i have driven pleanty of 03-04 Snakes.. And my WRX (with the modds i made) i love too. i out drove a corvette on the Oretga highway (highway from Orange county to riverside county) something my stang never did on a canyon road.... All a matter of who drives better and of taste..

First off car and driver means Nothing in the performance world.

271hp/273tq Lancer evo 8
390hp/390tq Cobra

Both cool cars, both very well tuned for what they are. Equal drivers, the cobra wins...period.
Both have the ability to be upgraded so that argument is pointless. But For track use...a set nitto's on the cobra totally blow the AWD advantage.
It would be easier to put rear tires on the cobra than to up the EVO (roughly)~120hp to match the Cobra.
Really it comes down to drivers, but 99% of the videos and races i have seen, the cobra comes out on top...take your pick, i like the cobra :)

Status
Not open for further replies.