'04 V-6 Automatic Tranny Question

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 2manypony's, Apr 17, 2008.

1. 2manypony's

2manypony's New Member

I'm looking at a 2004 Mustang for my wife which had an automatic tranny in it. The Stang has the 3.8 V-6 in it. The problem I'm having is finding a replacement transmission for it, seeing someone hit something and busted out the bottom of the bellhousing exposing the torgue converter. Everyone is telling me that the automatic transmissions in 2004 V-6 Mustangs are different than the '99 - '03 mustangs. I'm needing to know if that is correct, or find a good research site on tranny's. Thanks!

2. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt" SN Certified Technician Founding Member

Who is telling you this info?

Technically the '04 Mustang has a 3.9L engine, not a 3.8. It just has a couple more cubic inches so it qualifies as a 3.9L. Same basic motor though so don't let the extra .1 fool you. A lot of people do get fooled and think it's a different driveline.

Also, the 05+ got a completely new 5-spd Auto.

I'm not an expert on Automatic V6's but i'm pretty sure 99-04 got the same trans. Wouldn't make sense for ford to qualify a new trans for 1 year when the '05 got another new trans

3. 2manypony's

2manypony's New Member

My thoughts exactly

Thanks for the reply! That is exactly what I thought, but didn't have my hands on the car yet to get it up on a lift an really check it out. I couldn't see Ford designing a new tranny for use in one year of a Mustang either...

All the salvage yards and even my local Ford dealer is telling me this same information. At least, that is what their computers are telling them. I think I'll go in and talk to the Ford's tranny tech and try to find out the real deal.

Do you know if an automtic tranny out of a V-8 would bolt up to the 3.9 engine by any chanc? I know where I can get a decent deal on one of these!

4. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt" SN Certified Technician Founding Member

Bellhousing bolt pattern is different i beleive.

The 3.9 is virtually the same as the 3.8...so it may be easier to refer to it as a 3.8L. The difference is literally 5 cubic inches or something like that.

Are they giving you a trans name? Are they saying the physical trans is different? Or the computer and wiring?