'05-'06 GT mod "basics"

supafly

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2000
JC, KS
Hey guys,
I'm not in this forum much as I don't have a new Stang, still driving my old 5.0, but I have a friend with an '06 that is getting the itch to mod. He is a former 5.0 guy as well, but he kept his pretty much stock. He's now asking my advice as to what basic mods he should start with. He does not want to void any warranty or spends thousands. Just off the top of my head, I am thinking exhaust and gears. He has mentioned a cold air kit and a tuner, but doesn't know whose to go with. Chassis stiffening shouldn't be immediately necessary as his '06 is a hardtop. Will you give me some insight and suggestions on which mods/which brands are proven on the new generation Stang? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

CAI(C&L,JTI etc.), Tune (req'd for pretty much any mods-SCT, diablo predator), UD Pulleys, Gears....NOS :D
Most guys seem really happy with a good cai/tune combo though, i've read really good things about the Demolet JTI/SCT2 combo....I guess it really wakes the new cars up...I know i'm chompin at the bit to get mine ordered, I just cant wait till I have the means....:) Check on www.partshopper.com

Basic mods i have read about

I have read that most people are doing cold air intake(CAI) and reflashing using the Xcaliber 2 or diablo tuners. I also read YOU MUST reflash for the CAI to work properly. Again I have read on other forums that Mods can invalidate a warranty even though a dealer must prove your mod caused the problem before invlidating. This is nice in theory but I have read from others that dealerships are not honoring warranties if you have ANY mods on new cars. The Magnuson-Moss Warrranty act is supposed to protect against this but dealerships say get a lawyer because they have you by the balls. Her is a link to the act but I couldn't find anything talking about mods or changes

http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/the-magnusson-moss-act.html

Tell you friend to shop around and see if anyone will honor a warranty before he mods.

Bones187 said:
I have read that most people are doing cold air intake(CAI) and reflashing using the Xcaliber 2 or diablo tuners. I also read YOU MUST reflash for the CAI to work properly. Again I have read on other forums that Mods can invalidate a warranty even though a dealer must prove your mod caused the problem before invlidating. This is nice in theory but I have read from others that dealerships are not honoring warranties if you have ANY mods on new cars. The Magnuson-Moss Warrranty act is supposed to protect against this but dealerships say get a lawyer because they have you by the balls. Her is a link to the act but I couldn't find anything talking about mods or changes

http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/the-magnusson-moss-act.html

Tell you friend to shop around and see if anyone will honor a warranty before he mods.

Re-flash stock tune and take off the CAI before going in for any major work...I bought my car about an hour from my house, I take it to a ford dealer where I live where I have friends in sales and in the garage so I should be set....but if I ever had a warranty claim i'd just remove those items and take it back where I bought it...Any major mods...You might be screwed :shrug: Man I hope the CAI/tune/UD/gears put me in the high 12's....I dont wanna have to get into that engine...:bang: