05 5spd Automatic

I'll be waiting until '06-'07 to see how the autos are working out. I really want an automatic, but if these transmissions are really that bad, I'll buy a manual.

• Sponsors (?)

Ron Jeremy said:
Most Ford Mustang automatic transmissions suck. I would NEVER get a Mustang with an automatic. I ONLY buy the 5 speed manual transmission because the manual trannies have less problems with them. Plus, they tend to have better response with torque than the automatics do. The automatics have many issues. Just look at all the posts in here with Mustang owners who have the automatic Tremec transmission on their 2001-2004 Mustang GT's. This is enought reason to not own a Mustang with an automatic transmission.

My first stang was a 95 gts auto. I drove that tranny into the ground (including numerous neutral drops in my ignorance) and never had a moment’s trouble with it. I manually shifted that thing all the time, winding out every gear. Really beat the life right out of the thing. Never had a problem with it. I would have no problem picking up an 06 with auto in it. My personal preference is for a manual this time around but I would not be afraid of a mustang with an auto.

351CJ said:
The 5 Speed Auto should significantly improve the performance of the 2005 Mustang, both V8 & V6. The big deal with the 5 speed auto is that the ratio spread between 1st and 5th is greater than 1st to 4th on the 4 speed.

Specifially, 1st gear on the 5R55S is 3.23:1. 1st gear on the 4R70 is 2.84:1.
This means that by putting the 5R55S into the Mustang it is going to perform off the line like it has a 3.76 rear end in it, so you can expect a big jump in Mustang automatic performance and just how fast it feels off the line.

Ford also has 6 speed automatics coming in both FWD and RWD versions. I don't know if the 6 speed will be used in the Mustang. I don't have the link handy, but if you go to media.ford.com and start searching you will be able to find info on both the 5 speed and 6 speed automatics.

This is nuts. So you are saying that from the line an auto may out perform a manual through at least first gear?! Well that kinda sucks. I guess gears may be my first mod.

How many mustangs tow a third of their own weight on a regular basis? Life expectancy for a car tranny in an Explorer can't be good. Then again, forcing down shifts and the impact of effect of hooking up at the drag strip is probably about as bad. :( Oh well maby they have worked the bugs out.

Vlad said:
This is nuts. So you are saying that from the line an auto may out perform a manual through at least first gear?! Well that kinda sucks. I guess gears may be my first mod.

It all depends on the torque converter, its stall speed and maximum torque multiplication. The ATX will have a 3.31 rear end while the MTX will have a 3.55 rear end. The T3650 has a 3.38 1st gear so that is still lower than the 5R55S.

I think the bottom line will be that the 05 auto GT will be faster for Many drivers. A real good driver with MTX will still be fastest, but any performance gap will be smaller between the ATX & MTX.

I would say that your opinion is correct. I used to think the M5 had more problems than the 4 speed auto from threads I've read on other sites, but that may change with the new 5 speed autos coming out. I'm very, did I say very, disappointed :( in this news. However, I'm glad to hear it in advance, because I only want an auto Mustang, but there is no way I'll tolerate another inferior automobile from Ford. My '99 sucked and I was hoping Ford would have their ducks in a row with the new Mustang. I'm ready to preorder one, but now I'm a scared to. I'll either have to wait a year or so and see how the new trans holds up, or buy something else instead. It is unfortunate, because the new stang is about the only new car I'm interested in right now. It really doesn't have any competition at its price point.

I don't think we should jump the gun here and start branding parts of the new car terrible before Job1 is even started. Also, a lot of "problems" can be a direct result of modding, or driving behavior. I have had both an AODE and a manual and didn't have prblems with either transmission. So, I wouldn't be afraid to order one either way at this point.

I am just really excited the auto will be a closer performance drive to the manual. Since I drive so many miles in bumper to bumper traffic, I will most likely have to get an auto the next go around.

well from what i see, 99% of explorers never tow or haul anything except themselves. at least in hampton roads. the are generally chic cars and carry beach chairs. not to be mean, but if there is a problem then the tranny is at fault. and even so, ford should never put a trans in a vehicle that cant do what it is intended to do..haul things. but that all said i hope ford gets it right this time around. i liek the looks of the car i just hope it performs and is up to snuff quality wise. i have a 97COugar XR7 with 115000 miles on it and no trans problems yet...knock on wood. the 4r70 seems pretty durable to me and most of the people iwth the mn12 platform. do a j mod and it runs. as far as manual vs aut i know the f bodies with the autos ae faster once they start dipping int the 12's.