05 GT engine knocking!!!

shortbus said:
:shrug: What's the issue with Fram? I'm feeling sick all of a sudden.
There is a history... a bad history.. Now weather or not the product on the shelf today is the same?????

But faulty filter media that disengage, cardboard end cap pieces that fail, antiphon valves that leak and bypass unfiltered dirty oil through the filter.

They have also been linked to low oil pressure issues.

• Sponsors (?)

bronco78 said:
There is a history... a bad history.. Now weather or not the product on the shelf today is the same?????

But faulty filter media that disengage, cardboard end cap pieces that fail, antiphon valves that leak and bypass unfiltered dirty oil through the filter.

They have also been linked to low oil pressure issues.

Damn I fell like I just screwed some skanky ho with no condom. I will be pulling the Fram off tomorrow. Thanks

shortbus said:
Damn I fell like I just screwed some skanky ho with no condom. I will be pulling the Fram off tomorrow. Thanks

I would not panic.. Many, many use them with no issues.. and the failure rate was low.. But it happened...so take it with a grain of salt.. And just a consideration.

Well that day it happened they changed the oil a second time like I stated before and changed the filter also. I was in the shop standing next too or near the car when they started it and it sounded the same as before. It takes about a minute before it makes the Knocking doesnt do it right at startup. one thing they never did is hooked it up to the computer Because I am kinda thinking it might be a senser. Its going to a different ford dealer tomorrow at 1. I am taking it for him because he is working so I will post the results if they can figure it out, lol.

took the car to the dealer today. the older machanic that always does all there mustang work and who owns 3, Well he said that it sounded like a rod bearing. as soon as i opened the hood he right away began to unplug injectors one bye one and listen to the engine. the #1 cylinder sounded different when the injector was unpluged compared to when he unpluged each other cylinder one bye one the same way. (he listened that when he unpluged each one from 1 through 8 that the engine sounded the same each time but the #1 cylinder, it knocked twice as hard). I have never seen anyone do this but i was told he was the man and seems to know alot. so it was left there till friday and we drove his other 01 GT home. :shrug:

99snake1 said:
took the car to the dealer today. the older machanic that always does all there mustang work and who owns 3, Well he said that it sounded like a rod bearing. as soon as i opened the hood he right away began to unplug injectors one bye one and listen to the engine. the #1 cylinder sounded different when the injector was unpluged compared to when he unpluged each other cylinder one bye one the same way. (he listened that when he unpluged each one from 1 through 8 that the engine sounded the same each time but the #1 cylinder, it knocked twice as hard). I have never seen anyone do this but i was told he was the man and seems to know alot. so it was left there till friday and we drove his other 01 GT home. :shrug:

That kind of test is usually done to see if the knock is a wrist pin. It definitely sounds like it's in the lower end, and it also sounds like you found a dealer with a good tech.

As for the "pinging" posts, maybe I can clarify...

"Engine knock" is a problem with the lower end, being bearing or component related.

"Spark knock" is another term for pinging, or detonation, and is basically when the combustion of the cylinder takes place at the wrong time.

well the probem was found with the car today. I was not there when the tech explained it but said it was the "cam phaser" or faser, he said it has something to do with the timing must be a senser I guess I never heard of it. it will be fixed on wednesday so if any of you guys have a weird knocking sound that could be the problem he said about a 2 hour job to fix it under warrenty.

99snake1 said:
well the probem was found with the car today. I was not there when the tech explained it but said it was the "cam phaser" or faser, he said it has something to do with the timing must be a senser I guess I never heard of it. it will be fixed on wednesday so if any of you guys have a weird knocking sound that could be the problem he said about a 2 hour job to fix it under warrenty.

As stolen for another source

The extra intake valve in the three-valve head, the variable cam timing and the CMCV all work together seamlessly as the engine accelerates. At the low end of the power band, the CMCV creates turbulence by inserting itself in the air path just after the fuel injector. The partial obstruction causes a tumbling action in the runner that asserts itself as a more combustible, quicker-burning mixture. While the CMCV decreases its intervention as engine rpm climbs, the valve timing increases for both intake valves and the exhaust valve.

I understand the next step if this sensor does not fix the issue is to replace the PCM

After my first oil change, my car (05 GT automatic) displayed the "failsafe engine mode" message before I even put the car in gear. I turned the car off and then on again a few minutes later and it was OK. It didn't happen again for awhile, so I thought it was a fluke. Today, however, the message appeared WHILE I was driving. I pulled into a parking lot, turned the car off, waited, and then turned it on again, only to have my engine light permanently lit. What's going on? I got this car in April, and have maintained it properly. Has anyone had this message?
Thanks!

Update to my Earlier Message

Took the GT to the dealership regarding the check engine light and the "failsafe engine mode" issues. I got it back this evening; they had to replace the tp sensor and reset the codes. This is just an fyi to anyone else who may be having the same problem.

J.

I'm not sure how it happened, since I don't work on cars myself. However, I did notice that this problem only appeared after I brought it in to the dealership for a routine oil change/check/tire rotation. I honestly don't know how a sensor could get screwed up during an oil change, though, so it might just be a coincidence.

Only time will tell if this was just a fluke.

Maybe someone else here has a better explanation for why the sensor could die like that?

The 05 Mustang does have moderate injector tick noise- if dealer says it is that, he is likely right. It is not noticeable inside the car. The car has tons of great features!

Power Surge said:
That kind of test is usually done to see if the knock is a wrist pin. It definitely sounds like it's in the lower end, and it also sounds like you found a dealer with a good tech.
As for the "pinging" posts, maybe I can clarify...
"Engine knock" is a problem with the lower end, being bearing or component related.
"Spark knock" is another term for pinging, or detonation, and is basically when the combustion of the cylinder takes place at the wrong time.
thank god he took it to the dealership in time. People saying its bad gas and pinging was going to make this guy throw a rod.

Ping/detonation DOES NOT make a clacking noise. Detonation sounds like marbles in a tin can.

Rod knock-is a loud metal on metal clacking. It sort of sounds like like piston slap but a lot louder.

Power Surge, good definitions man. About time some real tech was in here. :nice: