05 GTO or 05 Mustang GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

02MGSTANG said:
I read a lot of "plain ugly" comments... Is this ugly? :shrug:
Ugly? No. Boring styling, looks too much like an old Grand Prix and doesn't stand out from a crowd? Yes. If you like it fine but just be understanding that the majority of the people in the car buying state of mind do not like the way it looks and a good amount of people do not feel that it is worthy of the name GTO. Personally I would not pay mid 30s for a car that even car guys don't notice until you get right up on them. There's a Pontiac dealer I was by everyday on the highway when you look over their lot they have an entire corner with like 5-6 GTOs sitting there(the same ones that have been there since the beginning of the summer mind you) but then when you pass the GTOs and look at the rest of the cars on their lot...it doesn't really stand out.

TomServo92 said:
Except that it's going to be 4,000+lbs four door sedan available only with an automatic. I doubt it's going to perform as well as either the Mustang or the GTO. Also, if the styling is anywhere close to the Car & Driver rendering, it isn't going to be a very pretty beast either.

If your car has 300+ hp and 4 doors, you're driving junk. No way around it, I don't care what anyone says.

TomServo92 said:
Where did anyone say a car had to be cute? You seem to overly concerned about having the biggest and baddest car (must be compensating for a lack of something :D ). If I'm going to shell out $30K for a car (which I have done...have you?), I expect the whole car to appeal to me, not just the engine. The GTO isn't selling with 350HP, what makes you think 50 more HP is going to make a difference? GM needs to address the real issue as to why the GTO isn't selling which isn't HP, it's styling. There are only so many people that will shell out that kind of coin based solely on the engine. Adding a couple of hood scoops and dual exhaust isn't going to cut it. Hopefully they'll do a better job with the redesign (if the GTO survives that long).

Dude, you're so right. I've seen a total of 1 GTO on the street here in Las Vegas. I see more Hummers here and they're twice as much to buy. The GTO, as it was predicted by many Mustang fans, is a dud. It's over. GM is a clueless band of retards. They have no idea what they're doing. The HORSEPOWER segment is a small minority. Proof of that is the fact that F-bodies killed over. There's only so much appeal in raw horsepower numbers. Even in the hey day of the muscle car error of the 60s and early 70s the majority of cars sold were not fire breathing horsepower hogs. it's about styling and practicality.

Oh, and the GTO totally missed the styling mark. :notnice:

Sorry even though I created this thread, I don't feel the mustang is unique. I see the car everywhere. If you see 1 GTO on the streets, wouldnt that mean it's unique? I know it resembles other cars, but some cars that were not so popular turn heads now--CRX, Civics, C4 corvettes (i think this is the one of the ugliest corvettes made)--mostly because they are modded. A GT is not pretty fast unless modded and in Nyc, mustang drivers believe their car is so fast, even when the only thing they have is a welded on exhaust (the ghetto kids). So Stangs don't get alot of stares except the usual glance because of the commonality and stereotype. True that the 05 will be different and the stang does have a body that shows it's muscle, that some people take for granted, personally which I love looking at (black stangs), but once it becomes common around the block, it'll just be another stang. So in other words, stangs are sleepers (unless you got full exhaust no cat), and that would it's appearance would soon equivilate with the GTO. And when the number of stangs sold increases, modded stangs will be outweighed by unmodded stangs, and the one to make the ricers leak in their pants will be the GTO.

That's just my opinion. Overall I like how both cars look and believe it will take time to tell which appearance will become legendary.

peyotesands said:
If your car has 300+ hp and 4 doors, you're driving junk. No way around it, I don't care what anyone says.

So this is junk?

14074_1024.jpg

:D

Detonate said:
Sorry even though I created this thread, I don't feel the mustang is unique. I see the car everywhere. If you see 1 GTO on the streets, wouldnt that mean it's unique? I know it resembles other cars, but some cars that were not so popular turn heads now--CRX, Civics, C4 corvettes (i think this is the one of the ugliest corvettes made)--mostly because they are modded. A GT is not pretty fast unless modded and in Nyc, mustang drivers believe their car is so fast, even when the only thing they have is a welded on exhaust (the ghetto kids). So Stangs don't get alot of stares except the usual glance because of the commonality and stereotype. True that the 05 will be different and the stang does have a body that shows it's muscle, that some people take for granted, personally which I love looking at (black stangs), but once it becomes common around the block, it'll just be another stang. So in other words, stangs are sleepers (unless you got full exhaust no cat), and that would it's appearance would soon equivilate with the GTO. And when the number of stangs sold increases, modded stangs will be outweighed by unmodded stangs, and the one to make the ricers leak in their pants will be the GTO.

That's just my opinion. Overall I like how both cars look and believe it will take time to tell which appearance will become legendary.

I don't think he's referring to how many you see on the streets but how it's unique in the styling department. When you see the '05, you KNOW it's a Mustang. You don't mistake it for something else. Even '99 - '04s were unmistakable from a styling perspective. When I see a GTO, I have to look twice to make sure it isn't a Grand Am or a Grand Prix or a [insert GM model name here]. Pontiac needs to make the GTO stand out more since it's a limited edition, $30K+ car.

mball said:
Who cares what the hell the car looks like!! Man, so many of you guys are little pansy girls, the car has to be cute? The new GTO will have the 6.0L LS2 Corvette engine for a little bit over $30K. Looks like it will just miss Corvette times, 0-60 in the mid 4's and quarters in the mid to high 12's stock. LS engines are so easily modded and can handle so much power its not even funny. Hell, just add a supercharger and you will destroy 95% of the cars on the road, I dont think the GT can say that. Get the GTO.

Hey Meatball, if i'm gonna spend $30+ on a car, it at least has to appeal to me. The new GTO looks like a "pansy girly" car......even "DoubleONegative" agrees, he's trying to get his WIFE to get one !! It may be fast, but you'll look like a *** driving it. Heck, i'd rather stick to driving my '73 Duster.

Now THATS a great car TomServo92. 500 hp V10, 0-60 mph in the low 4s and the quarter in the low 12s, I'll take it in a second over any car in here, I just need $65K.

CarrollShelby said:
I really don't see the point here??? Compare $100,000 car like BMW M5 2005 vs Mustang GT 2005... :OT:

No kidding about missing the point :rolleyes: My point is that he said anything with 300+HP and four doors is junk. I wanted to know if he thought the M5 was junk since it fit his criteria for "junk".

TomServo92 said:
When you see the '05, you KNOW it's a Mustang. You don't mistake it for something else. Even '99 - '04s were unmistakable from a styling perspective. When I see a GTO, I have to look twice to make sure it isn't a Grand Am or a Grand Prix or a [insert GM model name here].

I agree, the GTO looks to much like all the other pontiac products, its your choice, but I think you will be pissed when the first person tell you "hey thats a nice Grand Prix".

Status
Not open for further replies.