'05 headswap?

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by spikeGT_99, Sep 14, 2004.

1. spikeGT_99

spikeGT_99 New Member

does anyone know if the new 2005 3-valve will fit on our 99+ engines? i was thinking surely these would give us a few hp and if they're priced around where the pi heads are now it'd be pretty good hp/dollar mod, and since the engines are "modular" they should bolt right up. anyone got any thoughts?

2. spikeGT_99

spikeGT_99 New Member

anyone know?

3. streetstang03

streetstang03 unModerator

the dark side of the moon/home of the 1999, 2003,
    have to wait and see....but I'm going to use my cognitive thinking and get into the mind of a ford engineer and say it most likely will be expensive and not worth the trouble.

4. bdcardinal

bdcardinal tree hugger

it can be done, however you will have to spend a lot of $$ to get the variable cam timing working. remember these heads arent new, they were on the f150, plus they've been used in australia for a year or 2.

5. spikeGT_99

spikeGT_99 New Member

just hoping it'd be a fluke like the pi headswap and be like $350 for much better heads, still got my fingers crossed

6. hotmustang331

hotmustang331 New Member

Well here is what the 5.0 mustang mag said," We bet you're thinking youd like to slap a set of these Three-valve heads on your Two-valve GT and then start picking on cobras. Well it is possable, but it's not going to be a direct bolt on affair. Accordint to Rick, the Three-valve heads will physically bolt on to earlier 4.6 blocks. That's no problem. Once you get them on, you'll have to create manifolding for the intake and exhaust, then make a plate to flow oil back to the cams from the front of the heads where Ford directs it to actuate the variable cam timing. You would of course loose the VCT functionality. Keep in mind, however that were saying this before the '05s hit the dealer lots. Once '05 mustang parts are available, it may well ease the head swap to something a bit more complicated than a PI swap. Just keep in mind that to get the variable cam timing, you'll have to swap computers, wiring harnesses, and the like- so you might as well just drop in an early cobra engine or buy an '05 mustang." Hope that helped and answered your question.I also have the flow numbers on the 3V heads, as well as 99 2V heads, 97 and 99 4V heads, and FRPP-D46 heads that I think are for 2V GTs.

7. streetstang03

streetstang03 unModerator

the dark side of the moon/home of the 1999, 2003,
    good info hotmustang :nice:

8. MyEarsHurt

MyEarsHurt New Member

Oh man it would be sweet if they did cause there would be sooo many pi heads floating around, I could finally coax myself into getting a used set! :D

9. BanginStang97GT

BanginStang97GT Founding Member

I hope that works out in our favor. I can just feel it now. My blower pushin 3 valve heads w/10lbs of boost :) Hello 10's maybe???

10. KronicRacer

KronicRacer New Member

the best thing to do is to sit and wait to see what happens.

if it turns out to be more than the 427 cj ive been dying to get.......... :p