05 identical gearing to 04 mach 1?

falchulk

Jan 23, 2004
This months MM&FF has a comparo featuring the Mach1. They apparently were able to run a 13.1 with it(this seems pretty low to me , but hey they are pros!). Comparing it to last months MM&FF with the 05, the gearing and rear end is pretty much identical. If thats the case, they should be able to get the 05 down under 13.5 easily and consistantly. Thats a lot better then the 14.1 most mags are predicting. Makes me want the car even more!!

• Sponsors (?)

You're fogetting that the diameter of the tires on the 2005 are larger. Some one posted here what the relative rear end ratio works out to be. I don't remember the exact #'s but I think it was something like 3.33:1.

With that said, I would expect the 05 GT to be in the mid 13's.

You are absolutely right. I did not factor that in. Still, 3 to 4 tenths off the STI is what I was expecting with the 200 to 300lb weight diffrence. I am not sure why mainstream mags are estimating so high.

I just plugged the #'s into my RPM vs Gear spreadsheet.

99-04 - 3.27 gear 80 MPH 5th gear (5 speed) = 2123 RPM

05 - 3.55 gear 80 MPH 5th gear (5 speed) = 2178 RPM

So you can see with the larger tire diamter the effective gear in the 05's works out almost the same. The RPM's may be off 100 RPM of so as I am just using the tire diamter. To be more accurate you would have to find the actual "rolling circumference" of each tire and use that in the calculation.

However, for the 05 it looks like 4.10's would be a great gear. 80 MPH 5th gear = 2515 RPM - about the same as 3.90's in a 99 - 04.

13.1 is not really low..they run this all day..mach 1 has like 320hp vs its rated 305....it has 3.55`s like the 05 will have...i think the mach will be a touch faster..but the 05 tq curve is sweet

I had no idea the mach was this fast. The new car and driver has a mach with a supercharger kit that runs 11's. I dont so much care about that but they list the stock Mach as 4.9 0 to 60 and 13.2. That is the same as MM&FF. I test drove a mach a few weeks ago. I had no idea it could pull off these numbers.

falchulk said:
I had no idea the mach was this fast. The new car and driver has a mach with a supercharger kit that runs 11's. I dont so much care about that but they list the stock Mach as 4.9 0 to 60 and 13.2. That is the same as MM&FF. I test drove a mach a few weeks ago. I had no idea it could pull off these numbers.

yea its an animal compared to my 00gt

We've been through this a dozen times before, but here we go again.

A bone stock 99-04 GT coupe 5 speed with a decent driver will run low 14's all day long. With a great driver and perfect track conditions a bone stock 99-04 GT can break into the 13's.

An 03-04 Bone Stock Mach 1 will run low 13's, as they say all day long.

351cj thats a big diffrence. Seems bigger then then horsepower and gearing would allow. MM&ff ran a 04 GT auto to 14.0! Ad it only had like 60 miles on it. Excuse my if I am imopressed by this.

falchulk said:
351cj thats a big diffrence. Seems bigger then then horsepower and gearing would allow. MM&ff ran a 04 GT auto to 14.0! Ad it only had like 60 miles on it. Excuse my if I am imopressed by this.

That seems a little hard to believe. Was it a corrected time, or an actual time given perfect conditions?

Also keep in mind that the Mach 1 is under rated. It probably has 320 or so flywheel HP and 335 or so flywheel lb ft.