05 M3 vs 05 GT

zero3mach1dsg said:
so, who's racing the m3???, come on guys, uberM3 wants to have a legal race on a 1/4 mile track, to see how his car would fare against a 05 mustang gt..
i wouldn't think twice to accept a friendly and legal challenge.
what's up with that????
some of you guys are just going around an around, if the stang had this an that..., come on......, drop the mm&ff magazines and get somebody to race that m3.... :nonono:
uber what mods do you have????

you could come to svtperformance.com and post the challenge if you want to race a 99/01 cobra, or mach1registry.com if you want to race a mach1. you wouldn't wait this long to race against a sn95 mustang :cheers:

99-01 Cobra would be be nice, although I have no clue as to what they run. As for a Mach 1 I raced one Sat. night 3 times from a roll and beat him. The third run was a tad more difficult. He had me in 3rd then once we hit around 140 I was gone.... I hit 160 on that run

• Sponsors (?)

300bhp/ton said:
The M3 is a full production vehicle and although M is BMW motorsports divsision its still the same company. It's not a limited run special. It more BMW's Corvette, it just happens to look like the cheaper and far less exciting 3 series, but then thats just Germany's way.

In fact the current M3 was the 1st 3 series to be launched for that incarnation/generation.

BMW would disagree with you. I have actually toured the plant that made the previous generation M3 motors. M3 motors are HAND assembled by a single, highly experienced tech. The chassis were re-routed off of the primary assembly line to be completed BY HAND. I saw it happening.

"M" is equivalent to "SVT". That was my point. It is a special group that highly tunes an existing car (even though it is made on the same production line) to be far more than the original. AMG, M, SVT.... The point is that you should compare apples to apples.

BTW... the M3 was introduced first (actually, a mule not the real car) but the 3 series was ENGINEERED way before the M group got hold of it. The only M3 you can get right now at the showroom (in the US) is the previous gen M3. It is NOT based on the current '05 model.

Oh, and the reason that I had a '99 540 instead of a '99 M3 is because the new 3 (at the time) was out but the M3s based on the '99 3 series were not going to be out until about 18-20 months later. So, I bought the 5 series.

GT vs M3? We talk about this subject a lot on this board, and the price differential always comes up.

The M3 costs a minimum of $20 k more so to even up the competition let's take half of the price differential and use it on mods. I'm not a mechanic, but I bet the race, even on a road course, wouldn't be close. What mods would it take to even up the competition? I bet just $5000 worth of mods would get you a stang that could smoke an M3. Then you have a $32,000 car up against a $50 k car.

topless beach said:
GT vs M3? We talk about this subject a lot on this board, and the price differential always comes up.

The M3 costs a minimum of $20 k more so to even up the competition let's take half of the price differential and use it on mods. I'm not a mechanic, but I bet the race, even on a road course, wouldn't be close. What mods would it take to even up the competition? I bet just $5000 worth of mods would get you a stang that could smoke an M3. Then you have a $32,000 car up against a $50 k car.

Appanerntly you didn't see my post in this thread from a few days ago... Leave price out of the equation. Stock for stock. I know that if you put all kinds of cash into a stang it'll smoke an M.

At anyrate this thread is dead.

Uber M3 said:
Afternoon ladies and gents...

I was just wondering what the general consensus was on 05 M3's vs 05 GT's? Who do you think would honestly win?
I know one guy with an 05 GT, beautiful car, with CAI, and a reflash done but he won't race me... I resepct his decision even though I get on his case all the time... I won't mention his name since he frequents this board. And because he's a really nice guy. I just wish he'd race me.

I'm in the Tampa Bay area and I'll be going to T&T Thursday Night @ Bradenton Motorsports Park. I would honestly like to find out. So if you're willing let's do a run or 2.

-Matt

You will likely win by 1/5-2.5 car lengths.

Uber M3 said:
Appanerntly you didn't see my post in this thread from a few days ago... Leave price out of the equation. Stock for stock. I know that if you put all kinds of cash into a stang it'll smoke an M.

At anyrate this thread is dead.

You can try to leave price out all you want. But the bare truth is this. If a $50k car can't beat a $25k car. Then the $50k should be left on the dealers door step that night.

300bhp/ton said:
yeah I guess the big difference is that the SVO then later the SVT guys used to take a stock Mustang and change components to make a faster, better edition. The GT500 looks more like it will be more of a dedicated model but it in principle is still a GT with different components.

To my understanding the M3 is the opporsit, it was designed from the outset, and the lesser models are modified M3's (to produce less not more power/handling).

Alpina is probably a closer comparsion to SVT in terms of what they do. I think they are an independant company but so is SVT (I think its owned by Ford rather than actually being Ford, same as Jagaur is).

Alpina take a BMW shell and in the case of the 5 series model BMW also supply the unique V8 engine to Alpina, they appear to assemble lots of different BMW parts to make a different model. Which is what SVT usually does, they take Ford technology from other vehicles and put it all together to come up with a kick ass package.

Alpina is wrong choice. Alpina is the equivalent to Roush, Saleen and Shinoda.

QCStang said:
Alpina is wrong choice. Alpina is the equivalent to Roush, Saleen and Shinoda.
yeah, I didn't explain it very well.

What I meant was Alpina DON'T actually build cars, they assemble BMW's using BMW parts. Just as SVO don't build cars, they assemble Fords using Ford parts.

Roushe/Saleen/Steeda manufacture their own partsand use aftermarket parts to make their 're-badged' Mustangs. Rather than dip a hand into the Ford parts bin.

i have a friend with an 04 m3 he was the first person i ran ,last october. he beat me 2 cars every time,we were both completly stock. then i put 410s in and i beat him by 2 cars every time with no tunning, JUST gears. if we race longer than a 1/4 mile he will slowly pull away

I beat a latest style M3 in a random red light street race a few weeks ago. I assume that his was an automatic considering my best times at the track are not as good as stock M3 magazine test times (then again, the magazines tested my buddie's 05 STI to 13.2 and I absolutely walk him when we race, at the track, on the street, from a stop or a roll).

The M3 caught me sleeping at the light and took off spinning tire. I got immediate traction and started spraying and caught up easily. My AODE shifted from one to two right next him. In second I pulled a car length lead and held it until I shut down at the beginning of third. The guy was cool, flashed a peace sign and he and his girl both gave a smile.

SVTdriver said:
You can try to leave price out all you want. But the bare truth is this. If a $50k car can't beat a $25k car. Then the $50k should be left on the dealers door step that night.

Luckily in this case, the M3 beats an 05 Mustang GT stock for stock. The arguement of taking the money I save from buying a $25K car over a $50k cars is lame at best. It's normally said by those who couldn't afford the more expensive car anyway. I would guess most people (not all) who buy a $50k car do so because they can. So if someone saves $25k by not buying a $50k car, do they really have $25k cash available? Do people finance mods? Stupid idea IMHO. I think it would be insane to put that much into mods. If they did, why not pay for the car is cash or pay for most of it and then spend a little on mods.

95GTS said:
Luckily in this case, the M3 beats an 05 Mustang GT stock for stock. The arguement of taking the money I save from buying a $25K car over a $50k cars is lame at best. It's normally said by those who couldn't afford the more expensive car anyway. I would guess most people (not all) who buy a $50k car do so because they can. So if someone saves $25k by not buying a $50k car, do they really have $25k cash available? Do people finance mods? Stupid idea IMHO. I think it would be insane to put that much into mods. If they did, why not pay for the car is cash or pay for most of it and then spend a little on mods.

Amen brother... if folks would just have a little patience they could pay off their cars and then mod em as much as they like.

Also, the "my car cost less and is as fast" line is as juvenile as the "my car cost more so it is better" line.