05 Mustang Classic Design Concept Shaker System

tapd117

Oct 3, 2004
Texarkana, AR
I have just installed an CDC Shaker System on a 05 GT Mustang with no other modifications. Performance and excelleration have improved up to 5000 RMP and then the engine bogs down, no check engine lights are coming on. Anyone have any suggestions or similar problems when they installed thiers, an awsome system and really looks great, trying to figure out why engine bogs, suggestions. Yes, I'm going to check with CDC next week to see if they have any thoughts, looking for anyone that is currently using the system.

Any real suggestions and help would be appreciated.. Thanks, GG

• Sponsors (?)

road raced mine 2day and got my best time ever! no bogging. was it the cdc or am i just getting better? my car actually felt peppy. (oh and i left the stock box open (didnt close it w/ the piece they gave me. i figure more air is more air)

tapd117 said:
I have just installed an CDC Shaker System on a 05 GT Mustang with no other modifications. Performance and excelleration have improved up to 5000 RMP and then the engine bogs down, no check engine lights are coming on. Anyone have any suggestions or similar problems when they installed thiers, an awsome system and really looks great, trying to figure out why engine bogs, suggestions. Yes, I'm going to check with CDC next week to see if they have any thoughts, looking for anyone that is currently using the system.

Any real suggestions and help would be appreciated.. Thanks, GG

Tune?

rickman said:
road raced mine 2day and got my best time ever! no bogging. was it the cdc or am i just getting better? my car actually felt peppy. (oh and i left the stock box open (didnt close it w/ the piece they gave me. i figure more air is more air)
Rickman,

The CDC makes mine feel peppy also under heavy excelleration. I guess the bogging is a warranty issue. I closed off my air box with the plastic square in the kit. Did you have trouble with putting the throttle body bolts in. They were tough. I'm buying inserts for the mustang off ebay to put on the engine cover in red letters for $9.99. I have added the CDC sequential turn signals, MTR rear window louvers, Custom stripes on the side and rear. I went after the 69 Mach 1 look, also added the cobra jet emblems in scrolled chrome from DallasMustang.com to the shaker. It really adds a touch of class. Thanks, GG

I dont see how the CDC Shaker creates anymore power for the 4.6L. You are experiencing no improvement after the install. I cant help you with your issue and I hope this doesnt turn into a mythical Ram Air effect discussion.

You should take some pictures though, that car probably looks awesome.

-Dan

tapd117 said:
Rickman,

The CDC makes mine feel peppy also under heavy excelleration. I guess the bogging is a warranty issue. I closed off my air box with the plastic square in the kit. Did you have trouble with putting the throttle body bolts in. They were tough. I'm buying inserts for the mustang off ebay to put on the engine cover in red letters for $9.99. I have added the CDC sequential turn signals, MTR rear window louvers, Custom stripes on the side and rear. I went after the 69 Mach 1 look, also added the cobra jet emblems in scrolled chrome from DallasMustang.com to the shaker. It really adds a touch of class. Thanks, GG
:damnit: i still dont see any pics!

rickman said:
:damnit: i still dont see any pics!
shaker_system2005.jpg

pump

Could be a faulty fuel pump that is causing your bogging. I had a similar problem on my 01. No check engine lights or codes were being thrown off. Took it to 3 dealers. Only the last one recognized the problem as the fuel pump. Replaced it and car is fine. I had the same isssues. Under hard driving, car would start to bog and buck. Usually around 3-4 k rpm.

Post to rickman on your GT. I think I have diagnoised the problem. To much RAM Air. I took the top of the air box off and took it out on the street and ran up to almost 6,000 smooth as glass, same as prior to installation of kit.

Rickman on yours if I recall, you left the fender hole open, which I believe drops the pressure through the throttle body. In any event, I'll call CDC and see what they think.

When I sealed the box and took it to the street, the car boged again at 5,000 rpm, which tells me there is to much extra air.

What does everyone think? The car is total stock and no engine modifications other than the Shaker System. As soon as I wash I'll post some pics....... GG

TAPD117

Interesting thought, I'll post what CDC says they think the problem is on Wednesday, 9/14 after I get intouch with them by phone in the morning. The CDC installation of the shaker system to the motor is something anyone can do. Get the hood cut by a really good body shop and make sure they take their time. By a flexiable 1/4 inch bolt deal because installing the throttle body bolts is a you know what. Not enough clearance, it gave me fits.

But it does look sweet after the install.....

GG

First off, the shaker will not provide any Ram Air effect. Your bogging may be due to not enough air flowing to your filter for upper RPM power. If you had too much air your Spanish Oak would throw you a code.

Again, this is not a Ram Air scoop and the concept of Ram Air is best left to race cars that see speeds in excess of 150mph very often. The only thing this scoop may do is provide cooler intake charges.

-Dan

05 BLK-BLK said:
Ram air worked quite nicely on the LT1's and LS1's. The CDC setup seems similar to the SS's.
it worked well on the WS6 but not the SS. Having a scoop in the middle of the hood that snakes back to the front and back to the middle again is convoluted in the best case. My guess is that at speed the air is coming off the front of the hood and going OVER the scoop causing a low pressure pocket in front of the scoop. That is why a cowl hood usually outperforms a "shelby" (65-67 not counting the 1968) scoop, there is low pressure in the middle of a hood while the front has high just like the base of the windsheild.

The middle-of-the-hood scoops do help with getting cold-air, just not "ram air".

Edbert said:
it worked well on the WS6 but not the SS. Having a scoop in the middle of the hood that snakes back to the front and back to the middle again is convoluted in the best case. My guess is that at speed the air is coming off the front of the hood and going OVER the scoop causing a low pressure pocket in front of the scoop. That is why a cowl hood usually outperforms a "shelby" (65-67 not counting the 1968) scoop, there is low pressure in the middle of a hood while the front has high just like the base of the windsheild.

The middle-of-the-hood scoops do help with getting cold-air, just not "ram air".

Yeah, I'll agree to that...the WS6 setup is far superior to the SS's.

The Straight Scoop From CDC

I called CDC this morning and spoke with the technical support guys. I told them what I thought the problem was. I'm not going to haggle over if its ram air or cold air, but the fact remains the air flow increases as your speed increases (whatever). CDC has good tech support. Patrick with CDC tech support stated the 05 Mustang GT's are very sensitive and they thought that I had pretty much diagnoised my own problem. I'm going to have Ford check for any codes or sensor errors, I mentioned another comment about it leaning out, which someone suggested and they thought it made sense. In the short term, I'm going to take the plug out that blocks the fender hole in the air box and run both like Rickman is doing on his. Bottom line is the kit really looks good on the car and there is some small amount of added performance. They have not dyno tuned a CDC Shaker yet, but are in the process. Enjoyed the phone conversation last night Rickman. I didn't get the pictures today, but am trying.... My Stang will be at the dealer Thursday morning. If it throws any codes I'll pass it along.

GG