05' Mustang vs 350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 350Z is a high 13 car, best I have seen is 13.7@102 mph. It does 0-60 mph in 5.3 which is decent. The AUTO GT ran a 5.1 to 60 mph and a 13.6 in the quarter. As we are all guessing, the manal should be even faster, around 4.9 to 60 mph and 13.3 in the quarter so the Stang should easily beat it in acceleration. Then when you consider that aftermarker mods for Nissan's are pretty much non exsistent while Ford should have quaite a few for the GT, the Stang sounds even better.

• Sponsors (?)

The best I heard a 350Z can do in the 1/4 is a 13.9 and 0-60 in 5.5 for the Touring. Anyway the main reason I dont like the 350Z is the styling and the way it goes back. I guess it just depends on personal taste.

Borgus said:
Just FYI.
Mustang GT MSRP: $24,705
Nissan 350Z MSRP: $26,500

Mustang GT curb weight: 3,450 lbs
Nissan 350Z curb weight: 3,188 lbs

Mustang GT HP: 300HP @ 5750 RPM
Nissan 350Z HP: 287 @ 6200 RPM
All number taken from edmunds.com

As you can see, the price is not $30,000+. Also, while the mustang does have a horsepower advantage, it is also weights 262 lbs more. I go back to my original post saying, that while these two cars look relatively equal on paper, they will evoke two completely emotions. Looks are subjective, and in the even that one requires a rear seat...well a 350Z wouldnt even be looked at anyways. Even though larger, I would still find that rear seat an unpleasant place to be for anything longer than a 10 minute commute. Clearly, the car that appeals more to your emotional being is the better car and the one you should buy.

The problem with using the $26.5k number is that is base model no options. I looked into them extensively. If you want the best Z. You step up to a track model. Which is $34k+. But it comes with better parts. The problems I had with the Z were several. I could not get the options I wanted in any version. For example I wanted the track version but with leather seats. Dealer said no. Navigation in the 350 track wasn't going to happen either. Yet I could that in the touring. But had to sacrifice the brakes, wheels, and aero parts of the track car. Then to me. The blind spots were huge. I was very nervous making lane changes. And the rear view mirror viewing area felt about as big as a 3x5 index card. Then the power just didn't seem there. It should have felt faster based on the numbers. But did not feel like it at all. Lastly the trunk space because of the rear strut brace. Was barely large enough to fit the things I needed for work each day.

coolmac said:
SVT , do you use your Cobra at any drivers school events . My thought is a 99' cobra track car , because of the all aluminum engine for weight balance ,with suspension work only .

The G35 is to much $$$$ for a back seat .

No I have not had the time to go to drivers school. I work too much. When I buy the 05 I am planning to make the time. Yes the all aluminum engine is an advantage in weight balance. But the new 05 will have even better balance AND an aluminum engine.

2112 said:
The 350Z is a high 13 car, best I have seen is 13.7@102 mph. It does 0-60 mph in 5.3 which is decent. The AUTO GT ran a 5.1 to 60 mph and a 13.6 in the quarter. As we are all guessing, the manal should be even faster, around 4.9 to 60 mph and 13.3 in the quarter so the Stang should easily beat it in acceleration. Then when you consider that aftermarker mods for Nissan's are pretty much non exsistent while Ford should have quaite a few for the GT, the Stang sounds even better.

WTF?! Nissans dont have an aftermarket? Someone needs an edumacation! :bang:

the 350z is basically a car that runs 14flat from the factory. The 05 will make more torque and more power across the band but probably wont handle as well on average. I think the z is a great looking car and has a large aftermarket support system. Theres plenty of z's with 380-400hp at the wheels which is nothing to sneeze at.

Theres a 350z in my garage right now, though its not making that kind of power its a joy to drive.

Dull and overpriced garbage that run neck and neck with the worlds best sports cars for under $32,000. These cars do not suck, you just are not the type of buyer they are aimed at.

I would pick the 350z over a Mustang, especially over the 05. When it comes to power and price, they aren't THAT far apart but IMO the 350z is just a much better and more refined car. The Mustang is a cool car but aside from that I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Ford, they are one shady company, so the fact alone that the 350z is NOT a Ford wins some points in my book.
I also prefer the styling, seems to flow a lot better and has more of a "high-end" look to it. When i see the 05, I think of the old muscle cars I see around here.... usually some poor looking redneck driving them (then again I am in TX), when I see the 350z i think more of high-end exotic cars. It's really all about preference.

sixstringthing said:
I would pick the 350z over a Mustang, especially over the 05. When it comes to power and price, they aren't THAT far apart but IMO the 350z is just a much better and more refined car. The Mustang is a cool car but aside from that I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Ford, they are one shady company, so the fact alone that the 350z is NOT a Ford wins some points in my book.
I also prefer the styling, seems to flow a lot better and has more of a "high-end" look to it. When i see the 05, I think of the old muscle cars I see around here.... usually some poor looking redneck driving them (then again I am in TX), when I see the 350z i think more of high-end exotic cars. It's really all about preference.

If Ford is such a shady company and the 2005 Mustang si so bad, then why are you wasting your time on a 2005 Mustang chat site?

And exactly when did you test drive a 2005 Mustang so you know how less refined it is than the 350Z?

Borgus said:
Just FYI.
Mustang GT MSRP: $24,705
Nissan 350Z MSRP: $26,500

Mustang GT curb weight: 3,450 lbs
Nissan 350Z curb weight: 3,188 lbs

Mustang GT HP: 300HP @ 5750 RPM
Nissan 350Z HP: 287 @ 6200 RPM
All number taken from edmunds.com

As you can see, the price is not $30,000+. Also, while the mustang does have a horsepower advantage, it is also weights 262 lbs more. I go back to my original post saying, that while these two cars look relatively equal on paper, they will evoke two completely emotions. Looks are subjective, and in the even that one requires a rear seat...well a 350Z wouldnt even be looked at anyways. Even though larger, I would still find that rear seat an unpleasant place to be for anything longer than a 10 minute commute. Clearly, the car that appeals more to your emotional being is the better car and the one you should buy.

wrong...
curb weight is 3428 lbs for the 350z. Also, never compare MSRP's...if you do you can get entry level luxury g35 for the same price you can a nissan 350z...WRONG. You can get maybe 1000-1500 off the infinit 2500-3000 off the nissan and much more than once the new GT gets out in full quantities.

kirkyg

All numbers taken from edmunds.com. You call um up and tell them their numbers are wrong. Those numbers are from the 350Z base model, which is lighter than the Touring and Performance models.

351CJ said:
If Ford is such a shady company and the 2005 Mustang si so bad, then why are you wasting your time on a 2005 Mustang chat site?

And exactly when did you test drive a 2005 Mustang so you know how less refined it is than the 350Z?

I never said the 2005 Mustang was "so bad", Ford in general is a really shady company and even if the Mustang is your favorite car I don't know how you can possibly deny that. The other day, get this, on a DATING SITE out of all places, one of the tips was on which cars give off the best image and the advice was "just don't drive a car like a Ford or a Chevy because everyone knows they are bottom of the line" (not exact quotes, but that's how I remember it) I found that really funny b/c it's just a pretty well known fact that Ford isn't exactly #1 when it comes to quality. When my mom saw I got a Mustang she was like "OMG you got a FORD? You know those things are built like crap right", there are exaggerations out there but Ford is pretty far behind a lot of companies.
Why do I own a Mustang? I'm a college student and since I wanted a late-model performance car, it's all I could afford. Since I have the Mustang, I post on Mustang forums.
I haven't driven the 05, or even the 350z for that matter, but just from sitting inside of both it's obvious which one is WAY more refined, everything else is personal preference.

sixstringthing said:
I never said the 2005 Mustang was "so bad", Ford in general is a really shady company and even if the Mustang is your favorite car I don't know how you can possibly deny that. The other day, get this, on a DATING SITE out of all places, one of the tips was on which cars give off the best image and the advice was "just don't drive a car like a Ford or a Chevy because everyone knows they are bottom of the line" (not exact quotes, but that's how I remember it) I found that really funny b/c it's just a pretty well known fact that Ford isn't exactly #1 when it comes to quality. When my mom saw I got a Mustang she was like "OMG you got a FORD? You know those things are built like crap right", there are exaggerations out there but Ford is pretty far behind a lot of companies.
Why do I own a Mustang? I'm a college student and since I wanted a late-model performance car, it's all I could afford. Since I have the Mustang, I post on Mustang forums.
I haven't driven the 05, or even the 350z for that matter, but just from sitting inside of both it's obvious which one is WAY more refined, everything else is personal preference.

Unfortunately your Mom and the dating service are operating under false assumptions. Based on the past with not much presence in the future.
http://www.jdpower.com/awards/industry/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=854&CatID=1
Which clearly shows that while still not at industry average. Ford is doing significantly better than Nissan, Saturn, Mazda, and the knockoff of toyota Scion. As well as other manufacturers. So while yes they are pretty far behind some of the companies. They are also ahead of some that people would normally assume otherwise.

SVTdriver said:
Unfortunately your Mom and the dating service are operating under false assumptions. Based on the past with not much presence in the future.
http://www.jdpower.com/awards/industry/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=854&CatID=1
Which clearly shows that while still not at industry average. Ford is doing significantly better than Nissan, Saturn, Mazda, and the knockoff of toyota Scion. As well as other manufacturers. So while yes they are pretty far behind some of the companies. They are also ahead of some that people would normally assume otherwise.

All you have to say to someone that mocks ford quality is tell them to get in in an 04-05 Lariat f150 and they will shut their fat traps quick. Quality is unsurpassed for a truck.

kirkyg

Ford in general is a shady company. Be Specific, what does that mean. Ford is the second largest auto producer, how many 350z's are produced a year or even nissans for that matter. Ford is not a luxury brand and never will be, they are aimed at the middle class and are trying to be affordable. Not everyone can afford a lexus or infinity, not everyone wants a lexus or infinity. Maybe when you get some experience with other cars and have an understanding how exactly they are made instead of using blanket and general statements you know nothing about you can come back more informed. Also does your mom work for Ford or in a Ford factory, otherwise she knows nothing about their quality except for personal experience which is subjective and anyone could have a bad experience with any car for any number of reasons, it doesn't always mean that they are poor quality.

I had a 03 nissan se-r for awhile. It had it's probs as well. Very visible paint defect had to be repainted (bought the car at night didn't see) paint chipping issue, ceramic pre-cat that would come apart and ceramic dust would eventually get sucked into the engine. I am not impressed with either of them lately. I raced an evo from 20 to 60 and he picked up less than a car length on me. Not to bad for a stock 04 vs a $30,000 turboed car. Don't count the 05 stang out yet. Motortrend tested an AUTO 05 gt and it did 5.1 sec to 60. That is very impressive. A good driver in a manual just might give an evo a run for it's money.

Status
Not open for further replies.