05 mustang wheels on a 98 cobra

98Teksidcobra

Sep 8, 2009
From a few different sources, I have determined that:

-The backspacing is a half inch different, as in the 05 wheel will sit half an inch further in the wheel well and rub on things.
-The front and rear studs width differ
-ARP studs are the best but very expensive
-the bolt pattern is the same from 94-2005+

And i have narrowed my choices down to two options:

1:Buy longer studs and spacer plates for the correct backspacing
2: Buy 1' spacers with built in studs, however it will offset the backspacing in the opposite direction by 1/2' inch.

The front tires are 255's so I'm not concerned about the half inch making the tire stick out, and the rears are 275's so same thing.

I am concerned about the half inch causing premature wheel bearing wear, but am unsure about the severity of it.

So, my overall question would be, is the price of doing it with correct backspacing worth it over just slapping on plates with built in studs? It is for a non racing application, they're for cruising and show.

Semi-Related ranting:

The wheels were just too good of a deal to pass up; 300$ for slightly used take off , black chrome, FR500's from a ford repair shop (the guy let his girlfriend drive and she ran directly into a light pole in a parking lot :eek: . He then wanted to take off the wheels and sell them before insurance took his car).

• Sponsors (?)

I think I'd buy the wheels, then resell 'em to someone with an 05+, and put the money toward getting the right wheels :shrug:

if you have to use them the 1/2" spacers and better studs are probably the way to go, but that could cause headaches down the road...heck, these days a lot places won't even do a flat repair or a brake job if there are spacers on the car for fear of liability issues

I agree, wheel spacers are not a good option. In my experience, they create vibrations worse because the wheel is no longer exactly centered.
If you absolutely insist on wheel spacers, get hubcentric spacers with built in studs.

Don't use them. Those wheels are ugly, number one. Number two, spacers with studs built in are dangerous. Regular spacers are safer, but they still will not bring the wheel out enough. Get something else.