'05 Options Question

mk2001c

Sep 26, 2003
Test drove an '05 yesterday and decided I need one in my garage. The guy at the dealership wasn't as up to speed on the options as I would have liked. Wondering if you guys could help me out. 1) Active anti-theft system: if I don't get this option, does the car have a standard passive system (i.e. disables ignition and sounds horn if broker into)? I was looking at an '05 in a parking lot the other day and when I got to within three feet of the car, it beeped at me, then set off the alarm without me ever touching the car. I don't know if that was the active OEM system or an aftermarket type, but that setup was more sensitive than I'd like. 2) Side impact airbags. I noticed the '05 has a system that will disable the passenger side airbag if the occupant weighs less than 65 lbs. Does this apply to the side airbags as well? I have a few rugrats and need to be concerned about these things. 3) When do the 18" wheels become an option? I heard they will be 18"x9". I'm looking forward to getting the new Stang. I was surprised at how refined and solid the car felt.

• Sponsors (?)

1) Yes passive anti-thieft is standard. Active adds motion and tilt sensors (tilt is if someone is trying to tow it away).

2) I belive so, not 100% sure though

3) 18" wheels are not until 2006 Model year. There was a thread on Brad's site where someone from the 18" wheel vendor posted saying they were having problems with the wheels. They have alreadly changed from chrome to polished aluminum and now the vendor is trying to convince Ford to go to painted spokes (partial paint - partial polished aluminum).

I'm probably going to wait until 2006 myself, 18"ers and see what else changes, but who knows come next spring I may just have-to-have an '05.

i've got a 05 GT w/ the passive theft deterrent system(which really is a dash light and coded keys), and the side airbags, which I understand are of the curtain type so that they actually block intrusion from the side more than then they actually "pop" out at you, so your kids should be OK with these, just watch the pass. side bag, it's the conventional style. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine :D :D

Active Anti Theft 101

The base Mustang has the Passive Anti Theft system (PATS) and Remote Keyless Entry.

PATS is the coded/chipped key that tells the engine whether to start or not - this is not an alarm system.

Remote Keyless Entry locks and unlocks the doors, opens the trunk, and sounds the PANIC alarm.

Active Anti Theft is the optional alarm system. It monitors doors, hood, trunk, interior motion, and vehicle tilt. It also allows you to open the windows remotely or use the key in the door to open and close the windows.

As far as sensitivity is concerned:
The Active Anti Theft system has been custom designed for the 2005 Mustang to minimise false alarms. However, if the system is armed with the windows open it may also detect motion outside the car, which is what you likely experienced.

The solution is really simple - close the windows to properly secure the vehicle. Or, if you need to leave the windows open you can lock the car with the key which will turn off the motion and tilt sensors but monitor the doors, hood, and trunk.

buschman69 said:
The base Mustang has the Passive Anti Theft system (PATS) and Remote Keyless Entry.

PATS is the coded/chipped key that tells the engine whether to start or not - this is not an alarm system.

Remote Keyless Entry locks and unlocks the doors, opens the trunk, and sounds the PANIC alarm.

Active Anti Theft is the optional alarm system. It monitors doors, hood, trunk, interior motion, and vehicle tilt. It also allows you to open the windows remotely or use the key in the door to open and close the windows.

As far as sensitivity is concerned:
The Active Anti Theft system has been custom designed for the 2005 Mustang to minimise false alarms. However, if the system is armed with the windows open it may also detect motion outside the car, which is what you likely experienced.

The solution is really simple - close the windows to properly secure the vehicle. Or, if you need to leave the windows open you can lock the car with the key which will turn off the motion and tilt sensors but monitor the doors, hood, and trunk.
Great info! Welcome to Stangnet!