05 seats

skywarp

Nov 28, 2003
This might be pot roast but, has anybody looked carefully at the new seats? They look awfully like a BMW 330CI seat. And another thing the dash in the BMW looks a lot like the one in the GTO. Any opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

Heck, ANYTHING would be better than the current GT seats.
But, I don't think they are that much (read: enough) like the BMWs though:

Ford:
mst05_inmain_3.jpg

BMW:
0433_02.jpg

Notice the much more aggressive side bolsters.

I personally like the BMW seats and wish Ford would put some decent butt holders in the new Mustang. Doesn't look too promising so far...

As far as the GTO interior v. 3 series interior, I think you are off the mark there. Similar feeling, perhaps, but definitely not the same design. Just because they both use aluminum looking accents doesn't mean they are the same thing. The 3 series has one big stripe across (horizontally), the GTO as two from the console stretching up. And that is just for starters (wish I could find some pics to show more). Now, since the new Mustang uses aluminum trim, does that mean it is copying the others? I don't think so.

If those two pictures are the comparison you were talking about, I don't see any resemblance. The BMW look comfortable, supportive, and luxurious. Those Mustang seats look like red leather bricks that are about as supportive as sitting in an "L." Though I won't know for sure until I sit in them...

Know what I don't get? If Ford can offer an instrument cluster upgrade that creates a spectrum of colors, why can't they offer something as essential as a seating upgrade? I'd jump on a comfort upgrade package, as I'm sure many would.

Seat Upgrade!!

Actually, Ford will probably offer a seat upgrade. I have a copy of the sales broucher of the 2003 and 2004 Mustang. In the back of it, they show a set
of really nice (dealer installed) leather seats. The shape of the optional seats are totally different than the standard seats in the Mustang. I called the local dealer and they told me that the optional seats would run around $1200.00. Hopefully, when the new sales pamplet comes out they will have a set of optional seats somewhere in it.

Ford only put decent seats in 2 Cars, and those were the Contour SVT, and the Focus SVT. And that was becasue those were the only 2 cars they ever built with the race track in mind. They still see the mustang as a drag car, you dont need side bolsters to go in a straight line. It's sad that they cant break out of that mentality.

I looked at a 330 (4 door, no sport package) on my way to work today, THOSE seats are very similar to the mustang ones.