05 Stang vs. 04 GTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z28x said:
Pontiac.com $32,495 (that is the automaitc)

Since the Cobra doesn't have a auto, I'd compare the Manual tranny GTO price which is $33,190 (no other options are avalible so that is the base price and fully loaded price :))

A base 2004 Cobra cost $35,370 $2200 more than the equal GTO

Still seems like the same price range to me.

Z28x said:
THe '04 GT is starts at $24,185, and a V6 starts at $18,660, By that logic THe V6 is the way to go because you it is only about 60HP less than the GT.

You could buy 2 V6 Mustangs for the Price of the Cobra. No one ever said performance or luxury was cheap.

I think hes trying to point out that they arent in the same price range not whats the better value. Hes trying to say this whole topic is a bit skewed because of the $10,000 price difference.

• Sponsors (?)

new22003 said:
I think hes trying to point out that they arent in the same price range not whats the better value. Hes trying to say this whole topic is a bit skewed because of the $10,000 price difference.

I guess it depends on your defination of price range. I'd say 10% difference is in the same range. a GT coupe ranges from $24K-$29K GTO is $33K, like I said before GTO is more in the Mach1 - Cobra cat.

Just a question...would a Judge really be in the low 30s? I mean 400 horses, more aggressive styling and seperated from the current GTO by only 2 years...I would expect more like mid 30s.

The gto is way over priced for a performance car. The mach 1 will have no problem beating a gto and the cobra is around the same price and that wouldn't even be a race. The gto is a really nice car, but doesn't compare to the mustang. The gto numbers in the quarter mile are suppose to be like 13.8 and thats not very impressive

pjdellenger80 said:
The gto is way over priced for a performance car. The mach 1 will have no problem beating a gto and the cobra is around the same price and that wouldn't even be a race. The gto is a really nice car, but doesn't compare to the mustang. The gto numbers in the quarter mile are suppose to be like 13.8 and thats not very impressive

I think it is still a good value, were else can you get a 350HP car for $33K. I think of the '04 GTO as the practical mans Cobra. Cobra and GTO are about the same weight both have IRS and T-56. THe GTO is $2200 less and has a back seats that real live adult humans can fit in and interior quality is a lot better. On the other hand it has about 50HP less than the Cobra and probably dosn't corner as good due to the narrower tires and smoother ride suspension. Both cars have compromises, it all depends on what is more important to you.

Z28x said:
Pontiac.com $32,495 (that is the automaitc)

Since the Cobra doesn't have a auto, I'd compare the Manual tranny GTO price which is $33,190 (no other options are avalible so that is the base price and fully loaded price :))

A base 2004 Cobra cost $35,370 $2200 more than the equal GTO
Find a GTO dealer willing to sell for that price. :rlaugh:

Lets do real world price comparing, not msrp. Mach 1's can be had in Houston and other places for 22k to 23k. Are GTO's being discounted that much? Left over 03 Cobra's are discounting by 5k in Houston and more in some states according to people on this board. Again, are GTO's being discounted that much? New GT Mustang's can be had below 20k. The GTO's true competition is the Cobra in price range.

skywarp said:
Find a GTO dealer willing to sell for that price. :rlaugh:

THat is MSRP, buying for that price is easy, Anyone paying over MSRP is a sucker. I feel bad for the saps that bought Mach 1s and Cobras for over MSRP when they first came out. I hate dealers that try to rip people off like that :fuss:

I'd say the best bang for the buck now is the '04 Mustang GT, you can get them for $500 over invoice + $3000 rebate. THat is a deal, I'd buy that over an SRT-4 any day.

Z28x said:
I'd say the best bang for the buck now is the '04 Mustang GT, you can get them for $500 over invoice + $3000 rebate.
Someone on the Northwest forum just posted that she picked up a new 2004 Mustang GT a couple of days ago for $27k. :nonono: Sucks to be her, should have done more research before letting the dealer ass-rape her on the price. Could have bought a brand new 03 Cobra for that...

THat is a deal, I'd buy that over an SRT-4 any day.
I should hope so! :p The SRT4 has okay performance, but I'd feel gay driving one...

Dave

MiamiFan1354 said:
I know some of the numbers for the 05 GT, well, the expected numbers, and I was wondering how they compared to an 04 GTO? I don't have any kind of backgound on them, and I was wondering if any of you had any clue.

BTW, this is my first post.... so if I'm way off base, sorry...

well the gto does have a vette engine, a better engine, but I like the 05 stang so much better

I can get a brand new 2003 Cobra at Myers Ford in Elkton, Va for 31k. Out the door. Gimme the Ford please. Besides, doesn't the GTO weigh 3800 pounds out the door? If i had to have a car that weighed that much, it would be a cushy Cadillac instead.

Z28x said:
I think it is still a good value, were else can you get a 350HP car for $33K. I think of the '04 GTO as the practical mans Cobra. Cobra and GTO are about the same weight both have IRS and T-56. THe GTO is $2200 less and has a back seats that real live adult humans can fit in and interior quality is a lot better. On the other hand it has about 50HP less than the Cobra and probably dosn't corner as good due to the narrower tires and smoother ride suspension. Both cars have compromises, it all depends on what is more important to you.

I think it is way over priced and underpowered, a $30,000 car that runs low 14's high 13's when you can get a mustang cobra that it better overall and the performance doesn't compare

pjdellenger80 said:
I think it is way over priced and underpowered, a $30,000 car that runs low 14's high 13's when you can get a mustang cobra that it better overall and the performance doesn't compare

All out performance isn't everything. The GTO is a much nicer car (on the inside anyway) than the current Cobra. Id much rather have a GTO than an 03-04 cobra, ill give up that extra performance for a car with better interior quality, and better highway mileage. Maybe the 06 Cobra will be a different story. Not fair to compare until it comes out.

SVTJayC said:
All out performance isn't everything. The GTO is a much nicer car (on the inside anyway) than the current Cobra. Id much rather have a GTO than an 03-04 cobra, ill give up that extra performance for a car with better interior quality, and better highway mileage. Maybe the 06 Cobra will be a different story. Not fair to compare until it comes out.

The cobra is a much nicer car. It looks soooo much better, much much faster, and the gto doesn't get that good highway miles... lets not forget the cobra is a 6 spreed. The performance is way out of the gto's range. The gto's are nice but to slow and pricy.

pjdellenger80 said:
The cobra is a much nicer car. It looks soooo much better, much much faster, and the gto doesn't get that good highway miles... lets not forget the cobra is a 6 spreed. The performance is way out of the gto's range. The gto's are nice but to slow and pricy.

The GTO has a 6-speed available. Mustang doesn't. But look at the facts: the GTO is the only true muscle car out there, just as the Mustang is the only Ponycar left. They each have their own following, just like old times!!! >vbg<

Status
Not open for further replies.