'05 Transmission problems

Nodabs

Apr 23, 2005
Danville Va.
Has anyone else had transmission problems except me? My GT began making noises at 500 miles. A return trip to the dealer resulted in a diagnosis of "It's exaust noise, we've had the same problem in the V6's too."

After 2000 miles the dealer was forced to admit that there was a problem. The district engineer checked the car out and had an engineering letter, detailing the problem. My beautiful GT has been in the shop for 2 weeks and we are "still waiting on parts".

2005 GT premium, Redfire, Dark Charcoal, 5 spd, machined wheels.

• Sponsors (?)

Has anyone else had transmission problems except me? My GT began making noises at 500 miles. A return trip to the dealer resulted in a diagnosis of "It's exaust noise, we've had the same problem in the V6's too."
Mine goes in on Tuesday, my 5th gear syncro has to be replaced :bang: when I first drove her home I could get into 5th but would take 3-4 pulls to get out now 1400km later it's still there took it in. Ford sayed the 5th syncro is gone for sure won't know if there is anything else still they open her up :nonono: hopefully thats all...what was yours doing?

Nodabs said:

After 2000 miles the dealer was forced to admit that there was a problem. The district engineer checked the car out and had an engineering letter, detailing the problem. My beautiful GT has been in the shop for 2 weeks and we are "still waiting on parts".

2005 GT premium, Redfire, Dark Charcoal, 5 spd, machined wheels.
Duh you bought a FORD

My Coupe with an auto is dripping tranny fluid into a nice sized puddles in my garage. I measured about 1 quart low on the sick. It has 658 miles on it and I have not driven it hard (yet). It goes in tomorrow.

Yes. I know it is a Ford. What I expect to stand by is that Ford will make it right. Never been let down by them.

Okay, I give up.

Since there is no transmission dipstick on a 2005 Ford Mustang, what type of stick did you use to measure the transmission fluid level and determine that it was about a quart low?

myxmach1 said:
My Coupe with an auto is dripping tranny fluid into a nice sized puddles in my garage. I measured about 1 quart low on the sick. It has 658 miles on it and I have not driven it hard (yet). It goes in tomorrow.

Yes. I know it is a Ford. What I expect to stand by is that Ford will make it right. Never been let down by them.

Yah!! what tranny dip stick are you talking about!! I thought there was no tranny dip stick on the auto unless it is hiding under a battery or somethin.

Correct..There is no dipstick on the Auto tranny.

From an engineering standpoint, I am not happy with this. Plus, the fluid change interval is insane...I guess they figure metal shavings are GOOD...for the planetary gears.... I am having mine flushed at 15,000 just to feel comfortable, may send it out for analysis. As for the fluid leaking......EEekkkkkkkk.....I hope it isn't too serious.......Let us know

Jenn

Sheesh guys! By bad for making an assumption about a "dipstick". The measurement was actually done by the service technitian and reported to me when I asked them to look at it due to the puddle in my garage. They could not investigate further until today. I will give an update when I get it back. So - NO! I, myself, did not do the measurement but Ford techs. must have a way - or how else would they be able to give a report?

The dealer called today, the transmission has been rebuilt, not replaced, and the car will be ready tomorrow. The parts replaced were a kit, reverse syncros, lock rings, shifter fork and various pins, washers and bearings. We'll see!

Redfire GT/ Dark Charcoal, premium
5 speed, Active anti-theft.

Interesting that the dealer rebuilt your transmission. At 400 miles my manual started making a loud roaring sound. Took it to the dealer and a week later it was replaced. Ford told them to replace it, not repair it. No issues, no "we'll look into it", no rebuild, no BS......There was/is an issue with a supplier to the transmission manufacturer that provided some bad components in earlier models (before Feb builds). They should have just replaced the tranny and not put you through waiting. I would tell the area service rep about this and let him know that others just had the whole transmission replaced. Now at 1700m+ no issues or problems with the new one. Hope this fixes it for you, but I would let Ford and/or the area service rep know your displeasure.

Well, The dealer may have 'rebuilt' the transmission but, the knocking is still there. Took the manager of the dealership out for a ride when I went to pick it up today. he said "not like anything I have heard before".

The letter to Ford has been written and will be mailed tomorrow. NC lemon law gives them 4 attempts to repair or 20 days out of service before a buy back.

I really do want them to fix it, replace the tranny; I'll be happy!

We'll see what they have to say tomorrow.

Mailed my certified letter to Ford today. Also spoke with the service guy. Ford district engineer has authorized a new tranny but the dealer service guy want's to be sure that this will fix the problem. They keep telling me that these are noisy transmissions.

I told him that whine is ok but knocking is not normal and indicates a serious problem. Still waiting!

Redfire, premium, Dark charcoal leather iup, machined wheels and a broken 5 speed.

i saw a tsb on the trans. there is a kit like you said reverse gear, 5th syncro and snap rings. in it , it also states if there are metal filings on the drain plug replace tranny do not fix. fyi

i saw a tsb on the trans. there is a kit like you said reverse gear, 5th syncro and snap rings. in it , it also states if there are metal filings on the drain plug replace tranny do not fix. fyi

I got a call from my Ford dealer and he said they screwed up the part and there are 2 part numbers for the 5th syncro I bet one is the kit and one is the 5th only. I’m going to call tomorrow and tell them about the metal filings and make sure they check it out real well. I work for Ford at the pdc so I'm checking their parts daily :D to see when it comes in I'll post which one it was and what they say about the metal filings.