'05 Transmission problems

FWIW, I had a clunking on shift - basically any gear with the RPM's not quite matched (easy to do with stock ECU software and lack of decent 'blipability') made a nice clunk sound.

One dealer said, yea, my jeep does that. I told him a) this is not HIS, b) this is not a jeep and c) I don't care what your's does... of course that didn't help the situation. They probably sat on the damned car all day. All for my trouble they dented my front fender and had to replace it. (which they did, thankfully a totalled identical car was on the lot).

That having been said, I took it to another dealer. The mechanic is a fellow board member that went for a ride with me. It didn't sit right with him, so he went out again on his own. He called Ford services and they told him to replace the whole thing. No mess around, send it in.

So a week later a new tranny.

Fast forward 800 miles - the clunk is back. Not as bad as before, but back. :( arrrrrrgh!

BTW: this is not the problem of grinding souind that the tranny TSB covers.

Peet

• Sponsors (?)

I'm getting the same clunk type noise out of my 5 sp manual in my GT vert as Peet's post described.

Sort of sounds like the noise a tired u-joint makes when putting an automatic into reverse, except its coming from the tranny area. Like Peet said, happens when casually shifting when engine speed and vehicle speed not synched up well.

I not too worried about it yet, but I did add it to my "watch list"

Anyone else out there have some more insight into this?

Blkgt05 said:
what does that mean? is the TR3650 not really a great tranny?

there has been a whole bunch of issues with the TR3650 tranny since 01 when they started putting them in the mustangs

From shift forks to sychros and notchy shifts, grinding, popping out of gear etc

go the 4.6 forums you will see a sticky on the subject

Well, my dealer called and told me that he had ordered a new tranny and should be able to install this week. Saw a new post today that has exactly the same sysmptons that my car has. He was told it was an exaust noise also. Let you know how it goes with the new transmission in the car.

Just Downloaded This

special Service Messages
2005 Mustang Gt 4.6l With Manual Transmission Built Before 2/1/05 - Buzz/rattle Noise From Transmission Bell Housing Area
Some 2005 Mustang Gt Vehicles With A 4.6l Engine And Manual Transmission Built Before 2/1/05 May Exhibit A Metallic Rattle Or Buzzing Noise Coming From The Bell Housing Area At Approximately 2500 Rpm. This Noise May Be Intermittent, And May Be Caused By The Engine-to-transmission Separator Plate Resonating. To Service, Install 2 Bolts (part Number W500231-s439) Into The Two (2) Open, Threaded Holes In The Bell Housing. Torque To 33lb-ft (45 Nm).
Effective Date: 03/07/2005
IS THIS THE 2 MISSING BOLT THING IVE SEEN?

What became of the clunk?

5-speed manual GT.....like some others, if the RPM isn't synched up (like when you are letting out the clutch with your foot off the accelerator), I get a definite "clunk" sound.

Again, as someone else stated....almost sounds like a tired "u-joint".

I've taken mine to the dealer a couple of times for the issue. Service tech says they all do that.

Anyone have the same issue or more insight? Or should I just bury the tech's head under the rear axle and run over it a couple of times until he does hear it?

run his head over anyway.... but my tranny makes both the knock and the rattling sounds. i have had the two missing bolts already installed, but it still does it. i was going to take it in to the STEALERSHIP and get it looked at again. i need to find a better service department than i have been going to. none of them are very close to me and out of the way, so i have been putting it off. i am unhappy with the performance of the tranny. when i hit small bumps, it makes a clunking saound in the tranny area. it sounds the same as when you let off the clutch too fast and the driveline catches up with the tranny and goes clunk. should not hear noises when i hit a bump. i dunno. i was thinking of printing this thread and taking it with me so that they can see that others have had their trannys replaced.

afixer said:
Just Downloaded This

special Service Messages
2005 Mustang Gt 4.6l With Manual Transmission Built Before 2/1/05 - Buzz/rattle Noise From Transmission Bell Housing Area
Some 2005 Mustang Gt Vehicles With A 4.6l Engine And Manual Transmission Built Before 2/1/05 May Exhibit A Metallic Rattle Or Buzzing Noise Coming From The Bell Housing Area At Approximately 2500 Rpm. This Noise May Be Intermittent, And May Be Caused By The Engine-to-transmission Separator Plate Resonating. To Service, Install 2 Bolts (part Number W500231-s439) Into The Two (2) Open, Threaded Holes In The Bell Housing. Torque To 33lb-ft (45 Nm).
Effective Date: 03/07/2005
IS THIS THE 2 MISSING BOLT THING IVE SEEN?

I had this noise, installed the missing bolts and it went away. However, now I notice when the engine is cold I hear a buzz or rattle when I accelerate and reach about 2500 - 3000 RPM - sort of sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattle or something. It stops when I go beyond that RPM range and/or when the engine warms up. Really strange. Has anybody else experienced this?

Mine's not a rattling or buzz, but a definite, and very noticeable "clunk".

I may try another service dept, but mine is within 3 miles of my home and very convenient (but still dolts).

I was going to buy an F150 from this dealer. Sales guy was working up a quote for A plan pricing. When he called me yesterday to give me the price, I told him I was no longer interested. When he asked why, I told him the service dept sucked and it cost him a sale.

Hopefully that will get their attention after the sales guy tells his manager that their service area cost him a sale.

tksuther said:
I had this noise, installed the missing bolts and it went away. However, now I notice when the engine is cold I hear a buzz or rattle when I accelerate and reach about 2500 - 3000 RPM - sort of sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattle or something. It stops when I go beyond that RPM range and/or when the engine warms up. Really strange. Has anybody else experienced this?
yeah, thats part of my problem....

Clunk for me

I have a definate clunk, usually in the morning when it is cool out, going from 1st to 2nd gear. It also feels "notchy" when it clunks. Does not seem normal for a tranny to do that? or am I wrong?

TTownStang said:
I have a definate clunk, usually in the morning when it is cool out, going from 1st to 2nd gear. It also feels "notchy" when it clunks. Does not seem normal for a tranny to do that? or am I wrong?

my 1st and 2nd gear have gotten very notchy since when i got the car. when i first got it, 2nd gear was, and all of the other gears were fine. now first is doing it, and 2nd is worse. 7000miles on it. going to the dealer thurs, hopefully i get a new trans.

My '05 built in October '04 makes a lot of noise in 2nd and 3rd. Too much noise for me. I'm thinking about taking it in but I don't want to deal with a rebuild. I'd prefer it just get replaced. Anything I can say or provide (documentation) ahead of time that will get me a swap? I hate dealing with rebuilds and warranty crap, I'd just prefer it replaced and be done with it.

My 89 T-5 shifts like butter and is smooth as silk. The 3650 doesn't seem as refined although I know it's way stronger.