Drivetrain 05+ Tremec 3650

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by COramprat, Aug 11, 2013.

1. What would be required to get an 05 or better 3650 to work in an 03?
  2. It would take quite a bit of work, and I don' t think there are enough improvements to make it worth while.

The shifter is remote mounted on the 05+, so you'll have to somehow mount it in the car (maybe a plate over the old shifter openning, and mount to the plate?).

The 05+ uses a hydraulic clutch, so you'll have to convert your existing pedal box to use a hydraulic slave instead of cable... then route the hydraulic line to the trans and add a fluid reservouir.

Also, the output shaft on the 05+ 3650 is a flange instead of a slip joint like the 79-04 mustang. Unless the tail side of the trans can be changed out, you'll have to have a driveshaft custom made, flanges on both sides and a slip joint in the middle.

Really not worth it IMO. I was looking at using the 05+ trans on my roadster build. I considered it, and since it is an all new build, I could more easily use that trans... but ended up getting a good deal on a 01-04 TR3650 instead. I am still wondering if I should convert it to a hydraulic clutch though.
    tank_567 likes this.
  3. I wasn't sure of the differences but that pretty much kills that idea. There are a few available on eBay is why I ask. Looks like I'll go with the original 3650