05 Vert Hydraulic Fluid Refill

jshell55

Nov 28, 2009
My 05 Vert top had been working fine but over the last few weeks of nice weather this thing has gotten slower and slower to raise...

It goes down great, so I just figure it needs a little hydraulic fluid.

the pump motor says "use dextron II" which I can pretty easily do...

so the question I have is: where does it go? Where do you add the fluid? There's a little rubber stopper in the cylinder at the top/back but I am thinking that's not it.... not powerful enough to be pressurized...

I would appreciate any advice from the fellow forum dwellers. It does not look as though there's a reservoir anyplace....

• Sponsors (?)

Follow-Up:

After looking at a couple of other forums, I came to the conclusion that the black rubber plug at the end of the cylinder was indeed the fill hole....

Filled that baby up with some Wally mart brand transmission fluid....

and the top ran up and down prodigiously... So, I am ready to declare automotive brilliance and go for a ride....

While the back seat was out, I did inspect the seat floor area for a lot of drool or old fluid, and it was a bit oily, but not excessive which says to me there is probably a leak in the system but it will wait for awhile for repair... a

How much time has it been taking for you guys to put up/down your tops? I'm kind of curious about this now as I've never given it much thought.

For me, I've been lookin at times of:

Top Down: 12sec
Top Up: 13sec

Ford Mustang Convertible Top

I believe this here link was the most helpful. I googled "mustang convertible hydraulic" and there are several places in there where there were discussions....

I think somewhere in this forum there was a thread on this issue as well, earlier than my search would go back.

Once I put some fluid in that baby it has been working great.

To run it "down" took me 6 seconds.... to run it "up" took me about 8 seconds...