05+ vert owners....Need some honest opinions

Osiris

I'm married to a crazy, Danish broad
Founding Member
Oct 29, 1999
San Antonio. TX
Good day to all @:SNSign: !!!

I'm very near a decision to join you group of owners, but I'd like to know the reality of your experiences with it.

I'm looking at a black '05 GT with the premium leather ( red ) package, 5 speed manual.

I think it has about 8,000 miles on it. Anyhow, I'm familiar enough with them, just wanted to know what ups and downs you owners have had with them, and how you feel they compare with what's out there.

I've driven this type of car ( brother has an '05 LL vert ) but I haven't had the chance to take one through it's paces in terms of handling.

How would someone, who owns a turbocharged Miata, enjoy this car's handling?

Thanks all...Looking forward to hearing some of your responses!:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks Pony. I appreciate your response!

I turned down a Mach 1 in order to get the vastly better-handling Miata, and what worries me is I'll wind up in this Mustang feeling like I'm back in the stone ages again in terms of how it handles, though I do know the new car is a better handler than the outgoing car.

Now I know it's a tall order to compete in handling between a Miata and a Mustang, and frankly I probably wouldn't consider it were the need for 4 seats not be a potential requirement in my life.

I just want to make sure it won't be TOO bad of a difference.

'Stang/Miata

I'll bet that supercharged Miata is a BLAST. I am familiar with how much fun a Miata is, my wife has a 1990 red Miata. It has almost 150K miles and she won't part with it. I like driving it too, but I like my 2006 GT 'vert more. Honestly, the new Mustang handles awfully well, and V-8 torque, well it's addictive. :p

Yes, agreed. V8 torque IS addictive, but I must say, so is the rush and sound of a turbocharger....

Mustangs are in my blood, I'll own another someday, just trying to convince myself whether or not the time is now.

I may even hold off for an '03-'04 Cobra.....

'Stang/Miata

I understand. Keep in mind, the '05+ cars have a LOT of new technology the '03/'04 wouldn't have. Body is much stiffer, especially important in a convertible. The suspension has been completely re-designed. I have read the new rear suspension is as good or better than the Cobra IRS, and a lot stronger. The brakes are bigger, the exhaust is improved. I like the hydraulic clutch better than the cable clutch. The headlights are vastly better (I had a '97 and a 2000). I like the design of the new dash better. I guess I am prejudice, but I really like the S-197, it really is a high water mark
for the Mustang. Just my $.02 worth. :D

Osiris said:
Yes, agreed. V8 torque IS addictive, but I must say, so is the rush and sound of a turbocharger....

Mustangs are in my blood, I'll own another someday, just trying to convince myself whether or not the time is now.

Get a stang with a blower then. Problem solved. :D

I love my 06. There are many postiives about, but to keep things fair, I'll least my few gripes with the car (which are very minimal)

Shoulder straps don't adjust, which can make them uncomfortable shorter people (my girlfriend complains every time she's in the car.)

My clutch pedal "clicks" twice every time I push it in. I'll have the dealer check this out next time I'm in.

The motor is noisy (especially when cold)

The A/C compressor is extermely loud when cycling on and off (the A/C runs when you are just running the defrost, which I don't like)

The passenger seat height can't be adjusted and it sits very low ( I believe this is being changed for 07)

There are probably a few other small complaints, but the good far outweighs them. I have a smile on my face every time I turn the key :)

One of the best things about mustangs is that so many after market companies make parts for it. If your not satisfied with how it handles in stock form, buy a steeda suspention, lowering springs, front/rear sway bars, and poisibly new shocks/struts and you'll be amazed at how good it can handle!