06 4.6L engine in 69 mustang

buschstang

Jul 11, 2006
I am putting a 2006 4.6L in my 69 mustang. I was having trouble because the 06 radiator is way too big. Has anyone here done this and know if they make shorter radiators that still have the overflow system like a 06?

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, the radiator is the least of your problems in a swap like this. Not only is there not enough room for the rad, there isn't enough room for the motor untill the shock towers have been modified or removed.

xoxbxfx said:
man..where to start

have you even put the motor in the car? It wont clear the shock towers... you cant use the radiator, its like 2" to wide. Just use an aluminium aftermarket for a 69.

I have cut the shock towers out already, I would like to stick with the same overlow setup that came with the motor, I am unsure if an 04 4.6 radiator would fit, I can't find precise enough measurements.

You can go about 24" wide with the facorty cowl. There are a number of aftermarket radiators that can be made to fit. You can also get one custom built.

I believe the factory 06 radiator is about 27" wide, which can probably be made to fit with a lot of fabbing, but it is hardly ideal.

You can obtain the same cooling capacity with an aftermarket unit.