06 Cobra motor

big swede

Founding Member
May 4, 2001
St.Louis MO
I was looking on the Kar Kraft website at motors and it says this about the current 03-04 Cobra motor.

*News Flash! Ford has discontinued building these engines for production forever! some stock will be kept around the country for warranty purposes so when they're gone, they are really gone! The new 2005/2006 platform Mustang/Cobra will not use this engine.

So does anyone really know what it will be or is it all speculation at this point.

• Sponsors (?)

lopey4.6 said:
The design will grow on people and become the norm. Just like the 94's.

1000 rwhp anyone? I bet that engine has huge potential.

I agree. didn't used to be very fond of 94-95, but what can I say..they grew on me! same with the 96-98 GTs although I dont think I'd buy one, rather get just a cobra in those years. :p

so is that for sure the engine going into the 06 Cobra, the 5.4? Because thats what I heard awhile back, and I told a couple guys that and they shot me down and told me I was full of it

Rumors have been that they MIGHT not make any Mustang Cobras for a while. It is only Rumors at this point. It has something to do with the possibility of the Shelby Cobra name being in conflict. But, Supposedly they will still build SVT Mustangs and use names like Boss, Mach1, GT350, bla bla bla. Go check on the 2005 board.

streetstang03 said:
Is that really what is going to be in the 06 cobra?? That is going to be INSANE!!! anyone know what type of power is expected out of that beast??
Nothing is for sure, I've heard through my limited contacts at Ford what I posted. He is involved with the 05 Mustang program currently, but not the Cobra. So it could be a rumor to him as well. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

streetstang03 said:
Were these Chevy guys? I wonder how they will take this if they do put a 5.4 in the 06 Cobra. Now they cant try and give us crap saying that Mustang is a lousy muscle car cause it has a 4.6 in it blah blah blah......

sadly, they are Ford guys! and both of them own stangs too :nonono:

Then a guy with an 03 Cobra told me -quote "it will have the same engine as my car for 2006 with est. 420 hp (via 10lbs instead of stock 8lbs pulley)" That was a few months ago, so after that I kinda dismissed the 5.4 as being wishful thinking. but now hope has been reinstilled in me :nice:

Barnaby said:
Nothing is for sure, I've heard through my limited contacts at Ford what I posted. He is involved with the 05 Mustang program currently, but not the Cobra. So it could be a rumor to him as well. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Keep us updated! I'm sure everyone else is interested in what will happen in 06 for the Cobra, or whenever they produce another SVT Cobra.

I'm saving for a 2006 Cobra...although, the look fo the 2005 GT han't grown on me either...and I don't know why. I think it will be a matter of time since the new look will be the norm for while. But the 06 Cobra (if the go into production at all) will be an insane HP power plant, and that's what I'm into.

if it's going to be a 5.4L, i doubt it will be a 4V with a lysolm s/c on it. that would be the same engine as the Ford GT. i just don't see it happening. 3V with the eaton roots, maybe. but even then, that's a heavy engine for a car that is supposed to compete with a current Z06 much less one with an extra 85+hp and a few less lbs. the 5.8L V10 may be a better choice for Ford. it would be less expensive and lighter while still producing 500hp.