06 gt mutha thumpr cam idle problems help!

jiggy78

Aug 8, 2010
I have a 06 stang gt . with long tube headers off road x pipe flowmaster 10 series. and comp mutha thumpr cams. after the install it would idle good till it warmed up then would drop down to 500rpm or lower and stall out.

The valve covers and timing cover was taken off and i noticed i was off a tooth on both sides. no big deal the problem was taken care of but the same idle issue happens.

im going to assumed due to the radical cam and me not having a custom tune yet is why it will no idle. I have a SCT X3 tuner on its way with a custom tune from stage 3 motorsports. At this point im almost certain it is nothing mechanical. any input on how important a custom tune is after a comp mutha thumpr install??

• Sponsors (?)

i had a diablo sport tuner. which i originally tried with negative results. sent it back waiting for sct with custom tune on it. so it pissed me off i did not get any where with the diablo. and became a little concerned.

With big mods like cams you need a dyno tune not a mail order tune. Right after my cam install and before my dyno tune she would stall out all the time. After the dyno tune she was great. It took a good 4 pulls to dial in my car after the cams.

good to know well i just hope the mail order tune is at least good enough to make the car drive so i can actually drive it to get it on the dyno. thanks for the info.

If you're goin to do a mail order tune, at least get one from Brenspeed or VMP who have installed and dynoed many so they have the baselines needed to give you a reliable tune.