06 GT newbie

mitchell07

Dec 31, 2010
Just got 06GT. What it already has; Ford Racing Cold Air intake(any good?), magnaflow exhaust(thinking of switching to SLP), and shelby short shifter.....future add-ons(after taxes) tires,rims(not sure what size yet), in dash nav/cd and some type of front bumper cover

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

You say it has a Ford Racing CAI, does the car have a tune? If not I would suggest getting a CAI that requires a tune, like a C&L Racer CAI and a SCT tuner combo from someone like American Muscle.

Gears are a great mod, do you have an auto or stick? if you're not planning on going F/I I would suggest 410 gears.

What kind of Magnaflows do you have, are they the chambered mufflers or the Magnapacks, the Magnapacks are canister style (round) if you have the Magnapacks I would suggest either a catted or O/R H or X pipe, I have the Mangapacks and an O/R X pipe and my car is LOUD.

But the best bang for your buck would be a Tune and a good CAI, I have a 93 Race tune and the C&L Racer CAI with the 410 gears (Mines an auto) and my car chirps 2nd 3rd 4th and has chirped 5th a few times.

A one piece aluminum drive shaft would be a great mod as well.

There are just so many things to do to these cars, the question is where to start :)

Best of luck :nice:

You say it has a Ford Racing CAI, does the car have a tune? If not I would suggest getting a CAI that requires a tune, like a C&L Racer CAI and a SCT tuner combo from someone like American Muscle.

Gears are a great mod, do you have an auto or stick? if you're not planning on going F/I I would suggest 410 gears.

What kind of Magnaflows do you have, are they the chambered mufflers or the Magnapacks, the Magnapacks are canister style (round) if you have the Magnapacks I would suggest either a catted or O/R H or X pipe, I have the Mangapacks and an O/R X pipe and my car is LOUD.

But the best bang for your buck would be a Tune and a good CAI, I have a 93 Race tune and the C&L Racer CAI with the 410 gears (Mines an auto) and my car chirps 2nd 3rd 4th and has chirped 5th a few times.

A one piece aluminum drive shaft would be a great mod as well.

There are just so many things to do to these cars, the question is where to start :)

Best of luck :nice:
i dont know if it has a tune. can i find out w/o having to pay? it is manual and i will go crawl under to see what type it is and if its h or x. This is my 1st car ever. always had 4wd trucks or jeeps

You don't have to crawl under the car to look at the mufflers, just squat down by the back bumper (where the tips are coming out of the rear bumper) and look there, that's where the mufflers are.

As far as finding out if you have a tune or not I don't know how you would go about that, hopefully it does not have a tune, because if it does that means whoever owned the car b4 you has the tuner with the stock tune in it, I guess you could take the car to Ford and ask them to hook up their scanner to the car and see if they can tell you weather or not the car has the stock tune.

I know when you buy a SCT tuner and hook it up to your car the first time, the first thing the tuner will do is load the stock tune to the tuner, and if you have an aftermarket tune now and try to hook a new tuner to the car and it cant load the stock tune to it, I do not know how the tuner will react, I just don't know, it may or may not work.....hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and be able to give you more info.

Best of luck!

No fraking way should you change magnaflows for SLP. The only thing you should change magnaflows for is magnapacks. :nice:

As for the front bumper, you can like at companies like Roush, Steeda and Cervinis, which all make excellent parts.

it has magnaflow magnapacks....it failed state inspection for NC though, dealer had to take it to ford dealership to get tune put on it. failed emissions test.

What does the tune have to do with NC State inspection? I live in NC and the inspection here is a joke, they check your lights/blinkers, horn and they peek under the hood, no sniffer test, so I'm wondering why it would have failed the inspection???

What does the tune have to do with NC State inspection? I live in NC and the inspection here is a joke, they check your lights/blinkers, horn and they peek under the hood, no sniffer test, so I'm wondering why it would have failed the inspection???

Maybe it was too loud? :rlaugh:

Packs should have nothing to do with passing an inspection...but what do I know? I live in Florida and don't have to worry about such things :D

Maybe it was too loud? :rlaugh:

Packs should have nothing to do with passing an inspection...but what do I know? I live in Florida and don't have to worry about such things :D

Did they do away with the sniffer testing down there? I remember having to change out my O/R H pipe every year on my 92 5.0 to take the emission test.

The only thing I'm kinda worried about is now that I'm running an O/R X pipe on my 06, my mechanic said to bring my car to him when its time for my inspection, he will take it to be inspected and because he knows the guy who does the inspections he wont have a problem getting it passed for me, I hope hes right, I don't want to have to swap out to the factory H, not hard or anything, would just be easier if my mechanic can do it like he said :D

To any Police or DOT officials who may read this, I'm just kidding I'm NOT really running an O/R X pipe. :lol:

Did they do away with the sniffer testing down there? I remember having to change out my O/R H pipe every year on my 92 5.0 to take the emission test.

The only thing I'm kinda worried about is now that I'm running an O/R X pipe on my 06, my mechanic said to bring my car to him when its time for my inspection, he will take it to be inspected and because he knows the guy who does the inspections he wont have a problem getting it passed for me, I hope hes right, I don't want to have to swap out to the factory H, not hard or anything, would just be easier if my mechanic can do it like he said :D

To any Police or DOT officials who may read this, I'm just kidding I'm NOT really running an O/R X pipe. :lol:

We had vehicle inspections back in 92? I thought it had been a lot longer than that. Anyway, there haven't been any inspections since 2001, I know that for sure. :)

We had vehicle inspections back in 92? I thought it had been a lot longer than that. Anyway, there haven't been any inspections since 2001, I know that for sure. :)

Yeah I bought my 92 5.0 brand new 7/14/92 and I remember having to switch out my O/R H to the factory catted H for at least 3 years, my mind goes blank after that (that happens with old age LOL) then I bought a new 02 Lincoln Town Car (for luxury purposes) and the 5.0 became a weekend warrior, and I know I never did have to have the Lincoln inspected, so you are right no more inspections, I should have thought longer about that b4 I asked you about the inspections :bang: (old age showing again)

I live in NC too. Failed emissions test and tint. Can't pick my car up until its done. This is killing me!!!!

i would live in one of these:

Safety/OBD inspections currently are required in 48 counties: Alamance, Brunswick, Buncombe, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Carteret, Catawba, Chatham, Cleveland, Craven, Cumberland, Davidson, Durham, Edgecombe, Forsyth, Franklin, Gaston, Granville, Guilford, Harnett, Haywood, Henderson, Iredell, Johnston, Lee, Lenoir, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Moore, Nash, New Hanover, Onslow, Orange, Pitt, Randolph, Robeson, Rockingham, Rowan, Rutherford, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Wake, Wayne, Wilkes, Wilson and Union.

I live in one of those Counties as well, when you say OBD, you mean they hooked up a computer to your car VIA the OBD port? I have not heard of that, my Mom has a 2010 GT that she had inspected yesterday and she said all they did was check the lights/blinkers/horn, it took them 5 minutes to inspect her car, she has Mac mufflers, her car is loud, so I would assume if they would do the OBD test to cars they felt may be modded they would have tested hers and they did not, weird.........

I hope you get it sorted and get your car back soon!!

so, they got the car to pass inspection by taking off CAI and putting stock back on. This car doesnt drive the same w/o the tune or CAI on it. Nor is it as loud as it was. Called FR and they want the dealership info and VIN, maybe they will hook it up for me.