'06 Gt Premium - Noob Questions

Lochnar

Jul 13, 2015
First of all, greetings Stangnet members! My last Stang was an '89 GT that I sold a few years ago, but I'm going to look at an '06 GT with 95k miles on her (manual transmission) tomorrow evening.

Is there anything specific to these models I should be aware of and check for before pulling the trigger?

Thanks in advance !

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 06 GT I bought new. I have 190,000+ miles on it now. No troubles from it. The spark plugs are two piece that require being careful while pulling. I put 1 piece Champion 7989 in place of the Motorcraft plugs and they have been great. Sometimes I have to hold the fuel nozzle upside down while filling or it clicks off a few times while filling. Everything else far exceeds the reliability of my 88 Fox Body, which is a great car too (Still have it - 357,000 miles).

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, greetings Stangnet members! My last Stang was an '89 GT that I sold a few years ago, but I'm going to look at an '06 GT with 95k miles on her (manual transmission) tomorrow evening.

Is there anything specific to these models I should be aware of and check for before pulling the trigger?

Thanks in advance !

I had my master clutch cylinder fail on me at around 86K ( bought the car at 70K). It's a somewhat common breakage from what I've heard, but you can go to O'reily's and get a new one for about $100 and it comes with a lifetime warranty so you're good if it ever happens again. All the rest of my issues with the car have been minor cosmetic B.S. But for the love of god DO NOT run E3 diamond fire spark plugs!

Be sure to check the guide pins on the caliper mounts every year. Pull them out and clean and grease them with every brake pad change. Had two sieze up back in 2011 on my 05 and all four sieze up last month. Had to replace the front and rear caliper mounts due to a pin shearing off on each mount.

My '05 has 175,000 miles on it and is my daily driver. Bought it with 87K miles. The car's been great, is a 5 speed, and gets 21 MPG in L.A. traffic on mid-grade gas. I cooked a GTR once, but maybe he wasn't trying.

Things to expect:
-Plugs: Soak with WD40 or PB blaster and remove slowly, or they'll break.
-Gauge cluster will fail but can be easily removed and sent for rebuild for about $100. The car runs without the guages. Check Ebay.
-Ford just sent a recall notice for the airbag (probably Takata). They'll fix it.
-When the alternator starts to fail, it'll emit EM interference and cause the RH cam position sensor to throw a trouble code. about 100K.

This is normal old car stuff:
-Click noise:Replaced lash adjusters/roller rockers and timing chains at 160K. Some of the parts popped free and were loose inside the valve cover. Car acted like a V6 but got me to work, haha.
-No symptoms: Replaced OEM clutch at 175K! New slave, line, master. Depends on the driver.
-Click noise again: Replaced cams at 175K-Do these when you do the chains/lashes/rollers. Don't mix
old and new parts. Had to replace the lashes/roller rockers again because of the worn cams.
I'd totally buy this car again.
Test the clutch and buy the car. Hope this helps.