.060 Over 351?

Nosfed92GT

Jun 24, 2005
US
Just wondering if going .060 over on a 351 late model block (83) a bad idea? The machine shop I talked to said that they do not like going over .040 due to cooling issues and block strength. This would be used on a 83 block, 3.85" stroke crank, .60 over forged 302 pistons, Victor Jr. heads (ported) and a Comp 282 camshaft. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

hllon4whls said:
Why not stick with .030 or .040? What is the reason to go so big?

They would not clean up even with a .040 over bore. I got the motor out of a running coupe but when I pulled the heads I noticed that it needed a rebuild. I already had .030 forged pistons so this block is either going .060 over and I have to buy new pistons or take a chance on another block. Thanks

I would never recommend anyone going above a .030 on a 302 but the 351 is a whole other animal. Depending on how hard you push a motor that's been .060 over you could get all kinds of life from it. If you don't plan on pushing more than 500 hp or above a 11:1 compression I don't see any problem running .060 over on a 351. The Windsors have a significantly thicker casting and can easily accept that large a bore.

You might also consider seeing if a .050 bore would do the job if you're going to punish your block or even get sleeves put in. That would solve any strength questions you might come up with.

Delk down in Lebanon is a real good place. They've done most of the work on all my friends vehicles though I can't say I've ever taken anything there. The only thing I've ever farmed out was for my rearend and I took it to L & R in Madison and they did a ****ty job. Not real sure if they're around still.

Here's the contacts I have for each:

Delk (615)453-2300
L & R 1236 Northgate Business Pkwy. Madison, TN