07 GT clutch issue?

dannybarber95

Aug 28, 2008
at low rpm like when you are easing through to a pick up window, easing out on the clutch just to move a little causes the car to shake and shudder like an older rig with a bad clutch or rough flywheel. at 1000 rpm or so, its smooth as you would expect. my dealer says they all do it. anyone else have this problem? do i need to see another dealer.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are trying to "creep" at the 750 - 800 rpm idle speed, you are lugging the engine down, which will cause it to shudder and shake as you describe - you are just at the load/stall limit of the engine. Have you stalled the engine and had to restart?

I always have to "blip" the accelerator a couple of hundred rpms to about 1000 to keep it from bogging down.

Also the 40lb multi piece boat anchor we all know as a driveshaft has a lot to do with this bucking action that these cars seem to exhibit when trying to take off slowly. They bend and twist about as they start to spin.

A lighter one piece unit should take care of a lot of vibration and roughness.

If you are trying to "creep" at the 750 - 800 rpm idle speed, you are lugging the engine down, which will cause it to shudder and shake as you describe - you are just at the load/stall limit of the engine. Have you stalled the engine and had to restart?

I always have to "blip" the accelerator a couple of hundred rpms to about 1000 to keep it from bogging down.
have never stalled the engine, my thoughts were that it would be smooth even if you bogged it down till it quits. i have an old truck that is worn out that is smoother. also , it dont do it every time.

I have the same problem with my 07 and i was told the exact same thing by my dealer. It sounds like ****. Adding the spydershaft helped some, but its still not as smooth as the older cable style clutches. It feels like the clutch engages/disengages at a different amount of pedal travel every time i push it in.

I had the problem on my 06 GT. It would feel like it was shaking apart, especially after it was running for awhile and warmed up. I couldnt hardly get it in the garage. I have driven clutches for ever and I knew this one was bad. I talked to one of my best friends, who owns a shop (500 miles away, unlucky me). He instantly told me, they burned it, slipping it when they loaded it on the truck. I told the Ford dealer it was TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE to have a clutch grabbing! They installed a new one at about 600 miles. Found it to have a slight warped pressure plate and 4 burned areas on it. Just what my friend said they would likely find. No problem at all with the new one, feels great, just turned over 17K now.

I just bought an '05 GT, with 30,000 miles on it and I'm having the same problem. When I try to ease off the clutch, such as in traffic, at a drive through, etc. It will shudder badly. Mine also acts up more when its warmed up. I also get a rattling noise when releasing the clutch sometimes, even with the transmission in Neutral, and sometimes when I first start the engine. I took it to a dealership today, and had one of the techs ride with me, and I was unable to make it act up. He told me that I probably just wasn't revving it high enough, but I've owned several Mustangs, and one thing that I can't be accused of is driving like a granny :rolleyes: I tried to get the clutch to slip by downshifting hard on the freeway, and lugging it in too high a gear, and it seems to hold well, but warpage or glazed spots might explain why it only does it sometimes, and mainly when hot.

I have a warranty on the car, but if I'm going to replace the clutch, then I'll go with a better aftermarket one. I will soon start modding this now bone stock GT, and be looking at getting upwards of the 500HP range, so what would be a good choice for a replacement clutch/flywheel that will hold up for the long run?