07 GT vs. 02 GT (mine)

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
well my dad and i are having some fun lately, because he's looking at an 07 Alloy GT 5spd, with factory 3.55 gears and a few appearance things. VERY nice car. Im doing what i can to try and convince him to buy it, but he's a pretty cautious guy when it comes to $$. Im wondering tho, how would i match up, after LT's next week, vs this GT? i know these new stangs have many many more comforts, but which would you rather? and looks to me i think they are about equal and both look awesome. mine and this 07 (got polished 18 bullits). just wanted to share some of the excitment, plus we saw an 07 Shelby GT in the showroom yesterday, triple black, they want $43,XXX which imo is a rip off.

so what are some selling points i should tell him to make him want to buy it? other than the sweet deal he'll get with the x-plan.

• Sponsors (?)

$43,xxx for the Shelby sounds like a pretty good deal to me! Around here they are going for $50-55k.

With your mods, it would probably be a decent race. He will pull pretty hard on the top end though so you will have to get a good lead out of the hole to pull him!

ACM is the Sexiest 'Stang color ever... he wins by color alone :p

With full bolt ons I'm only a few 10ths faster than the 05+ GTs with one or two minor mods.

I keep up with my brothers 07 GT and he now has a JLT CAI and xcal 2 tuner. We are even through the first 4 gears we stopped at 85. You should do fine you have to be a pretty good driver though. thats probably the only thing keeping me with my bro cause im just flat out a better driver.

I thought i had him when i hit 3rd hard cause i pulled a quick .5 cars but cause im geared he had to change gears shortly after me when he hit 3rd he pulled right back and we stayed nose to nose till 85. Pretty interesting race i must say. but right now he wont be racing for a while he wrecked his car on friday night he lost control and went into a power box so sadly its beat up pretty good right now. and no we werent racing when he wrecked it i wasnt even with him i was on my way home from school.

Are you sure you're not confusing the Shelby GT to the Shelby GT500? $43k is alot of dough for a souped up NA GT.

All the car dealers have to see is "Shelby" on the car and they'll put the bend over pricing on it. They MSRP for $35K, but the dealers are marking them up $5K or more just for the Shelby name. They want $41K for one at a dealership here.

Plus we saw an 07 Shelby GT in the showroom yesterday, triple black, they want $43,XXX which imo is a rip off.

so what are some selling points i should tell him to make him want to buy it? other than the sweet deal he'll get with the x-plan.

First off Alloy is the best color for the 05+! The new mustangs are much nicer in the interior and much more comfortable to drive and ride in. The best thing though, the 3vs respond to mod so well! There down fall is in the exterior looks IMO. They are very plain and it takes a bodykit (Roush, Saleen, Cobra) or atleast a hood to make them stand out.

How much are you paying for the GT, if I may ask? The reason I ask this, why not have him look into a low mileage 03/04 Cobra. Great power and great looks plus they hold there value much better than a GT does.

Second if that was a Shelby GT500 for $43k then it has no options and no ADM so I doubt it was a GT500. It could be what alot of dealers are doing now which is selling GTs and V6s with the Shelby body kit and stipes on them. Ive seen 5 in my area that are doing this and selling them for $39-45k. :bang:

Good luck and make sure you post pics of whatever he gets. :nice:

yes it was a shelby GT... not gt500.. but theres no way he will be buying an 03/04 cobra. He's more of a "business/ sophisticated/ you know what i mean" kinda guy, who even him knows how outdated the chasis and desgin of the cobra's is. I'm not knockin it in any way, plus he wouldnt wana have the same style as mine. gt/cobra/ shelby dosent mean much to him.. as long as its a v8 manual. the total price he would pay is only....... $26, 4XX.. and were talkin a premium premium GT.. thats a no haggle hassle deal.. but keep the input comin on these things, as i dont know or he knows much about them.. one thing that gets me is just how much more "sophisticated" they feel and drive.. and thats really what i mean when i say why he wouldnt buy one of ours..

I totaly understand where hes coming from. You see more young guys driving our body style than the "older" base that drive the 05+ GT. The new GTs have a better fit and finish on them. There are quite a few 05+ Mustangs around here, its about 50/50 GTs and V6s, but 99.9% of the people I see driving them our in there 30s and up. (Not saying 30 is old but more "mature" :D)

yea we have the same thing around here.. kids like me in our stangs.. older guys are trading them in for newer technology and comfort. so im just waiting till we drive it one of these days.. and ill get back on what happens and how she feels..

All the car dealers have to see is "Shelby" on the car and they'll put the bend over pricing on it. They MSRP for $35K, but the dealers are marking them up $5K or more just for the Shelby name. They want $41K for one at a dealership here.

That is so true around here dealers rape on the prices for the Shelby GT500's I just saw a red one last week at our dealer and they were asking over 90,000 for it.