'07 Mustang GT Convertible Wheel Question

orange07gt

Sep 22, 2006
Hey guys,

Let me just start off this thread by saying that I DO NOT want to be flamed in this thread. I am being 100% serious and anybody who has anything NEGATIVE to say NEED NOT POST.

I have a Grabber Orange '07 Mustang GT Convertible that I did the GT500 front end conversion on. I am looking to buy wheels for the car. I am looking for BIG wheels. I know that everyone hates BIG wheels on a mustang but one thing you must know is that this isn't my everyday car. This is a car that I take out when I want. I am looking for 22" wheels. I can't seem to find any ones that I really like. I was thinking that I could maybe paint a portion of the wheel grabber orange. I am trying to figure out what wheels i can do this with and if I would need to drop the car (If you could suggest springs). I don't want to be monster trucking. Remember I have the GT500 lip on the front so I don't want it TOO low if I need to drop it.

MODS: If this thread becomes a flamewar please lock this thread.

Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

My car is in storage so I only have a front picture which won't help at all.

here is a picture from tirerack:

MustConv.17.Grabber_Orange.png

And this is what I was talking about in my first post......

IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO SAY DO NOT POST

The Pimpstars are for trucks and are the ugliest rims I have ever seen. I've seen them in person.

um, asking people on this forum about 22" wheels just isn't going to get alot of serious answers. i think it is safe to say that most of the poeple on this forum have mustangs because they are sports cars ( performace vehicles ) and 22" wheels are anything but. With that being said a picture would help just a front picture is not going to help much.
I would say if you can find a bullet style wheel in 22" that might work. Not sure if anyone is going to make a wheel with the proper offset in that size. i know that the sn95 had a funny offset that was really hard to find good wheels for, i know the s197 has a better offset for wheels.

Good luck

04SonicBlueGT,

Thanks for your input. Yeah I know that people buy mustangs because they are sports cars. I, myself have another car which is WAY faster than my mustang. So this car is more of a show car than anything else. I have seen 22" Shelby Razor's that actually look nice but I am just wondering really about the fender gap. I've seen some pretty ugly fenderwell gaps on some mustangs with BIG rims. I saw that stangsuspension.com has a STEEDA, I believe, set of springs that are a 1" drop. I don't know if that will necessarily be enough.

No :flame: intended here!
It's hard to find a 22" tire that is under 29" tall and under 265mm wide(you've put yourself in the truck/SUV tire category)! To me, that is too big for the front! They will work fine on the rear though as you can go 295 or 305, but that puts the height up near 30":eek: I guess it could be ok(not in my book!)if you hardly drive the car and don't need to turn the wheel full lock.

Thanks Kooldawg6,

On Tirerack they recommend a 245/30/22. What are the dimensions of that size tire? I don't know how to calculate it. I just want to find a nice looking wheel really and see if the fender gap will be too much to stomach.

To be fair, posting about 22's on a Mustang Forum is a bit like going on a Mormon forum and talking about Islam. Negativity is often a misconceived attempt to save you from yourself. :lol: Put it this way, you want people to look at your car and the almost universal response here would be to shun it but as long as you understand that, let's move on:

I Google Imaged Mustang on 22s and it came up with this thread:
http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=12200
and this picture:
gfvbc4.JPG

Similarly, here is a convertible on 22s here:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f143/project-stock-floored-on-22s-278019/
and the photo suggests the rims are Zenetti:
Mustang-on-Throwback-front.504.jpg

Obviously, this is not to be construed as encouragement but you have some more information to decide what to do with the car you paid for. ;)

Thanks Kooldawg6,

On Tirerack they recommend a 245/30/22. What are the dimensions of that size tire? I don't know how to calculate it. I just want to find a nice looking wheel really and see if the fender gap will be too much to stomach.

25.4mm=1"
So this means(roughly due to every tire company's sizes can vary)the 245mm width=9.6". The 30 series sidewall=2.9"x2=5.8" total sidewall+22"wheel=27.8" tall
245/30-22 is the same as saying 27.8" tall by 9.6" wide.
They will fit all the way around as the OEM 18" tire is 27.2" and 9.2" wide:nice: But will still leave a big gap on stock suspension.

Thank you both SOO much.

Let me ask you both, what do you think would be the proper drop for me considering I have the Shelby GT500 Front Bumper and Front Lip....

I just don't want to scrape everywhere I go.

What you're aiming for is trying to retain the same rolling radius as the stock 235/55 x 17. I have 275/35 x20's on mine and a set of Roush springs which don't drop the car as much as many do.
To work that out, have a look at the tyre calculator on this site and it will tell you how much your speedo will over or under-read.
http://www.tyretraders.com/Tyrecalculator/

You can probaly seach sites like cardomain but they may throw up some horrors:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2313728
You couls aalso do a search for 22" rims on the Mustang forums.

Other than that, try Googling. Have a browse through this lot
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=2005+2006+2007+Mustang+on+22"+rims&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

That White Mustang looks RIDICULOUS :notnice: . How come the Mustang in the Tirerack add in this month's 5.0 look's amazing with 22's and that one looks awful? I am just trying to figure it out because if all 22's are going to look like that I better rethink this..

It's funny. I've seen more and more mustangs with 22's that don't really look that great.

I'm thinking of buying 20's. I am looking at the Donz Bugsy's. I am thinking of getting the polished black so that I can paint the face of the rim the same color as the car, leave the insets black and then have the polished lip.

I think that would look good.