09 GT battery problem

mustanggt09

Feb 14, 2009
I purchased my new 09 Gt 2 months ago. Recently, the car sat for 2 days without being driven and the battery was dead. Took to the dealer service dept. and was told everything was just fine. They say it has a lot of "modules" and is an "intelligent" car. Therefore, it must be started and left running for 30 minutes at least every 2 days. Thinking this is absurd, I contacted ford Customer Service via email. Would you believe, they actually agreed with this diagnosis. I refuse to believe that Ford would sell a vehicle that can't hold a charge more than 2 days and has to be atarted and left running (wasting fuel) every 2 days. If I were to travel for a week, for example, I'm told that I can count on having a dead battery in the airport parking lot upon my return. My neighbor has a Lexus that is FAR more intelligent than my Mustang and he can go away for 3 weeks at a time and return, start his car and drive away. Has anyone else had this problem? Can this really be true?

• Sponsors (?)

I've let my car sit for nearly a month and never had an issue with a dead battery. Mine is an 07 but I doubt that the 09s have that many more things that draw power. Seems to me Ford doesn't want to deal with the problem your car has whether it be the battery or something else. I'd keep pushing but that's just me.

The alarm is the only module I know of that runs checks when the car is off. When I bought my 06, the salesman pulled it out of a tight squeezed parking spot so I could get a look in it. When I wanted a test drive, it was dead. If the car sits in a lot for so long, it happens. That's what I was told. I got a new battery and have sometimes let it sit for 3-4 weeks. That "diagnosis" is absurd.

I thought it was taken care of, but it might be the stereo draining the battery. Back in 05 and 06 the auto off stereo would leave the amps on if you didn't turn the radio off before you left the car (not simply letting it turn off when you opened the door). It was some sort of logic error, since the amps had to be connected to a always hot source.
Dan

Ford actually purchased my 07 back under lemon law because this exact problem. Replaced radio and batteries numerous times and also changed smart junction which seemed to help.
they finally admitted there was a problem at the final Lemon law hearing.

Stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. What's even stupidier is that a dealership would actually tell someone that. If it was designed that way, Ford ought to go bankrupt. Mine sits without problems for weeks a time.

the problem you describe sounds exactly what I went through. I would park my car on friday and it would be dead Monday morning.I had so many different people look at my car and none of them would ever admitt there was a problem. I had a person from Ford offer to install a trickle charger on my car. Their contention was that I did not drive my car enough to keep the battery charged. They thought I would just give up and go away which I did not.
In the end after 32 days out of service in a 3 month period and countless trips to the dealer they decided to settle 2 days before our final lemon law hearing.

Interesting.
When we picked out the 2009 we wanted on the lot the battery was dead...Charged her up and have not had a problem since then....Granted it has not sat for more that two days....But I would be shocked if this was the case...