1-2-1 SHIFTING AN AOD POLE

• Sponsors (?)

I did this twice at the track, now it shifts real funny (won't upshift until engine is like revving at six grand). I hope it's just the TV cable, but I don't know.

well after what i have read i don't think i'll be trying it, but i would like to know is it even safe to shift it on your own if you dont do the 1d1...like, is it even safe to just hold it in 1st, shift it to second when your ready and then let it shift itself to third??? seems like i can hold mine in first till it revs pretty good before it shifts for me, and when i manully shift it it's a tight shift un like when i leave it in d,so thought i'd ask. i will be getting a transgo shift kit next......also, is it safe to manully downshift when ever i want? this tranny's got me paranoid....i'm just tryin to make it live as long as possible before it needs a rebuild.

well it's definately not good for it , but I guess it's just a question on how long you want it to last. because it will limit the life of the tranny, and when you shift manual say, 1-2-D, that's not bad for it at all, your just commanding the shift when you want it. but the ole 1-d-1 will hurt the tranny, what exactly are you accomplishing when you guys try this( I drive a stick) are you trying to get it to downshift? or shift faster?

Have done it many times and had no ill effects on the traany. All you are doing it making it shift manually. When you go from 1-2 it shifts into 2nd, when you pull it back to 1st, it stays in 2nd, then shift it back to 2nd , it goes into 3rd gear, then shift to D. It is no different than going from 1-2-d but there is no 3rd so you have to do one extra step......pull back from 2nd to 1st. Will not hurt tranny and WILL improve times.

surely there's some one in here or who knows someone who's a transmission expert...........i wonder if theres ever been that question asked to a magizine or someone with an absolute knowledge of exactly what it does internally.........seems like the closest i saw to a legit technical explanation was that when you put it back into first it re-routes fluid or increases pressure in an area that effects a drum held on by a snap ring and can over pressure it and blow...regardless though, i'll stay on the safe side,,,,,,,would"t even be an issue if ford could have made a seprate detent for second or used an in handle o'd switch.....lol...friggin ford....gotta luv'em though.

the bottom line is a stock aod is a weak pos, and that's a given fact. they simply were not designed for this type of abuse. I don't blame people for doing this, and i'm sure it will last for a little while, however, I doubt any people can claim 100+K miles on an aod shifted in that mannor.