1,355 miles...Check Engine light

05PhillyStang

Oct 28, 2004
On my way to work this morning, I noticed my check engine light was on. The owner's manual referred me to the On Board Diagnostics page. On page 221, it shows 3 possible reasons for this light to come on:

1. The vehicle has run out of fuel (1/2 tank right now)

2. Poor fuel quality or water in the fuel

3. The fuel cap may not have been securely tightened

As for #2, I washed my car last night and I'm worried water may have found it's way where it shouldn't be.

Has anyone else experienced this? At lunch, I'll go fill up and see if it goes away. I'll call the dealership to at least document the issue

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you have a DS Predator to read the codes, then take it to the dealer for them to read the code, determine what is really wrong and then they will reset the check engine light. Unless you washed the engine and really poured water in the engine bay when you washed it, then more than likely it is the gas cap. When you fill up, turn the gas cap 4 or 5+ times (clicks) after seating it. Sometime seating the cap is a real pain. It does not like to go in easily! Keep us posted....

Chad_Diesel said:
I had this problem. I disconnected my negitive battery cable for a couple of minutes and then :nice: It was gone. I have driven over 200 miles since and no light.

Hmm...interesting. I went out and filled the gas tank and made sure the cap was properly secured. As I said earlier, the tank was half full so I doubt that was the problem. The light is still on. I called the dealership but my salesman is out until later this afternoon. I want to talk to him before I speak with the service dept. I'll keep you guys posted

05PhillyStang said:
Hmm...interesting. I went out and filled the gas tank and made sure the cap was properly secured. As I said earlier, the tank was half full so I doubt that was the problem. The light is still on. I called the dealership but my salesman is out until later this afternoon. I want to talk to him before I speak with the service dept. I'll keep you guys posted

If it was the gas cap, it will take a while for the code to clear.

Mine came on once too, then I found out my OBDII code reader wouldn't work on the car, so I just pulled the battery cable for 5 minutes, then back on, no more light.

The next week I received my new scanner (that reads the new CAN protocol) and it didn't show any stored codes. I'm guessing it was the gas cap. No more problems in the last 5 months.

If the CEL comes on, you usually have a problem that should be checked. Sometimes it is minor like the fuel cap not on properly, but can be something serious. Just because you disconnect the battery and it seems to clear the light, the problem is probably still there. If you do disconnect the battery to "clear a problem", and it does clear the light, you may be hiding a problem.

On a modern car, there are so many computer controlled electronics to monitor and control you car, it is not always easy to determine the problem yourself. Even if you have a code reader (like the DSP or others) and can clear the light or error code....Get it checked by the dealer! You do have a warranty. The days of shade tree mechanics are gone.

The CEL comes on when there's an emission problem. The emission system creates a vacuum on the fuel tank to test for leaks, and it finds one, it tells the CEL to turn on. If the leak was caused by the fuel cap being loose, removing the battery cable to reset the CEL (after tightening the cap) and having no further light tells me that was the problem. If the light came back on, it was not the gas cap.

Unfortunately it's illegal to pump our own gas here, so I don't have any control over the idiot snapping (or not snapping) the cap on tightly.

So, in my case, it was not shade tree mechanics, it was a simple test that saved me a trip to the dealer.

A week after I reset the CEL by removing and attaching the battery cable, I received my new code scanner, and it still showed no stored faults in the PCM.

WSD42, I felt the same way. disconnecting the battery cable just doesn't give me the proper peace of mind. Anyway, I called the dealer and made an appointment for Tuesday morning (that's the earliest I can get). The tech said that I can keep driving as long as the light doesn't start flashing. So EXCON, that should answer your question

I have driven to the governor in mine (To 150 MPH) and had no issues, regardless of the gear I was in.

The CEL will illuminate if ANY of the engine control electronics fail (EEC V inputs OR outputs and related circuits), not just the emissions systems.

Why would anyone want to clear thier own codes when they may have a legitamit concern?? If you do this it may cause issues when the tech tries to diag your problem. And it will also make it look like you are trying to hide something. Your car has warranty, let Ford fix it. :shrug:

Just spoke to Ford. The tech said that they received a code for a vapor management valve. A leak test revealed a slow leak. The part has been ordered and will arrive in a few days. For all those who disconnected the battery to clear the CEL, you may want to take in...just in case

EDIT: I also asked them to check the popping noise. I got the answer I expected; Under investigation, no fix at this time.

A blinking Check Engine light means that the engine is misfiring possibly causing catalyst damage.

It could be dumping raw unburned fuel into the catalytic converter.

A check engine light or MIL can mean a number of different things; some worse than others. Bottom line, the code needs to be checked if it's illuminated. It takes, if I'm not mistaken, two failures of the same problem for the light to illuminate. Just because the disconnects the battery to clear the code doesn't mean the problem has been fixed. The longer it's ignored, the better the chances that real damage could be done. A good place to get info on the many various codes that can be set is www.batauto.com.

I was under the impression that when you disconnect the battery it just temporarily makes the the engine light go away and it will come back on if the problem is still there

I know I have done this before (and cleared codes) and it will just come back on if the problem wasn't corrected, so if the light doesn't come back on then I would assume the problem was fixed

BLK05GT said:
Unfortunately it's illegal to pump our own gas here, so I don't have any control over the idiot snapping (or not snapping) the cap on tightly.
You are not allowed to pump your own gas??? Thats messed up. Is that a town law? I havent even seen a Full service station in years.. I wouldnt want some idiot dribbling gas on my paintjob..

Dr.