1/4 guess??? help

GaPonyFarm said:
Its impossible to know the answer to that. There's too many variables to consider, but I'd guess you'll be in the 15's... maybe break into 14's.

That sounds a BIT modest. I mean, my Mustang was able to go low 15's (15.3@90) with a crappy old Offenhauser intake, a crappy holley 600 carb, 3.55 gears with a worn out limited slip, stock C Code heads, C4 tranny with stock stall and a race weight of 2945 lbs. I'm sure he could do MUCH better than high 14's.

• Sponsors (?)

If you decide to go with nitrous (you cheater) :D make sure yout torque conveter is designed for nitrous use.

They make them beefier with an "anti-balloning plate" because the sudden boost in power can casue the converter to actually ballon up. As you might imagine this isnt a good thing.

In my opinion the auto transmission is far superior to the manual transsmission when it comes to drag racing if it is properly rebuilt and has a decent shift kit. Adding a shifter such as a B&M rachet shifter like I got and you will NEVER miss a shift.

Hitman8728 said:
hey guys i have a 1965 mustang gt... its gonna have a Aod with 2400rpm stall,3.73 gears, edl heads, comp extreme energy cam 268, holly650 car,1.6 roller rockers,mallory dit, and mallory plug wires, and edl proformer rpm intake... any one have any ideas of what shes going to run in the 1/4?

The stall is modest put you have a lot of good components so I think you could power it to a low 13 if you everything comes together AND you get good traction. It will be a great performer on the street.

Great68 said:
That sounds a BIT modest. I mean, my Mustang was able to go low 15's (15.3@90) with a crappy old Offenhauser intake, a crappy holley 600 carb, 3.55 gears with a worn out limited slip, stock C Code heads, C4 tranny with stock stall and a race weight of 2945 lbs. I'm sure he could do MUCH better than high 14's.

Like I said... It is an impossible question to answer without knowing the driver or the car. He may have done an excellant job on the build, or a lousy one. He may or may not know how to drive down a track... I'd much rather be modest in my estimation and have him feel very good about breaking into 13's, than have him feel inferior if he doesn't... If you've never raced before, its not good to set expectations too high, otherwise a person can lose interest in the hobby, very quickly.

Transmission argument - -

Yeah, a built automatic is good for consistent times. But no offense...

What if the car isn't built for just racing. Wouldn't you rather rip through those gears stabbing a clutch and throwing a lever? It makes the whole driving experience more fun IMO. I feel like I have more control over the car when I'm controlling how fast the engine goes. And I just love shifting a manual car. It's really a great feeling.

NO flaming intended, this is all my opinion.

A 13 second auto car hard to drive? Sticky tires will be worth atleast 5/10s, and a second or more on the bottle. A 150 shot 1 to 1.5 seconds. If it is working right with slicks and a bottle it should easily dip into the 11's.

ZStanger said:
Transmission argument - -

Yeah, a built automatic is good for consistent times. But no offense...

What if the car isn't built for just racing. Wouldn't you rather rip through those gears stabbing a clutch and throwing a lever? It makes the whole driving experience more fun IMO. I feel like I have more control over the car when I'm controlling how fast the engine goes. And I just love shifting a manual car. It's really a great feeling.

NO flaming intended, this is all my opinion.

Yes, I quite agree... Keep in mind that NASCAR drivers DO NOT use auto trans!!! I am sure majority if not all, road racers use manual transmission.

I myself don't care for consistent times in bracket racing... it's exciting as watching grass grow. IMO, drag racing should be about who is the fastest! No offense! My Opinion!

Bracket racing is AWSOME. It gives you and your 14 sec car a chance to put out people with ten thousand short blocks that are shooting more nitrous than your motor makes all together. It's all about who knows their car better. Pure and simple it's always more fun to beat someone with more money. That's why it's fun to eat up a Z06. And that is why people don't like nitrous and say it's cheating. They have a big block with lots money, just to get beat by someone like you and I with a 302 and a 100 hp shot. Hp is Hp no matter how you make it.
As far as trannies... the biggest reason they don't use then (auto-x) is they can't control the shifts. You can't enter a turn, downshift and lose the rearend (Automatic). As far a drag racing I love automatics. If you like to shift that much like I do, get a manual valvebody. They give up more hp, but they are much more consistent. Which does count when your trying to go as fast as possible. What's the sense in hitting 12.4's once out of ten runs due to human error and they just can't shift as fast...or you can run 12.5's all day long.