1/4 Mile Estimate

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
Hey guys, I got a question for you. This guy at my work insists that he is going to waste me in his 2000 Eclipse GT. He has basic mods done to it, nothing major. I currently have a 92 Mustang LX Hatch that makes a recorded 175 RWHP and 246 LB FT or Torque. Due to my auto trans, I think he might beat me. My car weighs in about 2850 without me in it. I have a full race rear with 3.27's and Posi Track, and South Side lift bars, and stiffer springs. How close would the race be? We are not going to race until winter is over, so I have some time for some more mods. Would GT-40 Turbo swirl heads and a GT-40 Intake give me the extra boost to kick some #$%? I want to embarass him. BAD, REALLY BAD! Help me.

P.S. I already did a lot of the basic mods, which ones really count?

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have any other mods done other than the suspension? All the eclipses I've messed with have been slow. Why do you have 3.27's in there? Those didn't come factory I don't think. If you're not gonna race until after winter, then do those heads and intake. They will really wake the car up then. It's recommended that you do a cam when you do heads, since the engine is already disassembled. Something to think about, since you can always do an intake yourself, they're not hard. As far as bolton mods go, pulleys work pretty good, and if you free up your exhaust (o/r mid-pipe and catback) that will help out a lot. I'm thinking you should be able to take him, but then again I don't even know what model eclipse it is. Give us some more info on his and your car and then we can decide.

actully, i have seen those heads for $650 new. complete. that, a gt40 intake a 70mm t-body will really help that combo.
as for your rear, the 3.27s came in the autos (or as an option). i dont know if its a full race rear, but those gears could/should be swapped for a set of 3.73s or 4.10s.
the weight of the car is VERY low. what kinda atkins diet did you put that thing on?

Intake headers exhaust would be my first move. All easy installs and relitivly cheap. The gears are a must but I would get a shop to do them. They can be done (around here at least) for around $500. 4.10's are the best setup for an auto. BTW 2000+ Eclipes GT's are pigs, you should take him easy if your weight # is accurate

Yes, it is possible for an Eclipse to be quicker than a Mustang, especially a stick one with a turbo. An all wheel drive turbo Eclipse can be an awsome car.

You need gears, tires and a converter as a minimum, then do the heads.

i found a cool site that estimates quarter mile times as well as a bunch of other stuff... slowgt.com

a 2850 lb car with about 225 at the engine should run a quarter of about 13.44 at 100.8 mph
a stock eclipse gt weighs about 3100 lbs and makes 205 horse. should run about a 14.96 at 95 mph

i think you'll take him...

GEARS and TORQUE CONVERTER :nice: You will make your car a FULL SECOND FASTER :nice: And you wont even have to touch the motor!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IMO,,410's and a precision Industries or edge converter.You will smoke him :nice: :nice:

Thanks for the reply's. I want to get around 230-250 RWHP. The weight as far as I know is an accurate depitcion of it. I took out a LOT of crap from the car. I am talking about seats, insulation, HVAC system, etc. Anyways, the car came stock with an AOD and the 3.27 along with it. I got good tires and the rear is strong. How much more HP and Torque will I get with Gt-40 heads and an Gt-40 intake??????? I got a TB, FULL exhaust from headers back with no cats. Thanks so far.