1/4 mile gain from gears?

stock 94 mustang gt convertable...estimating it runs high 15's
It has either 2.73 or 3.08 stock gears
What kinda gain in the quarter mile am I looking at by switching to 4.10 gears? What about a shift kit?

How much do shift kits cost with installation?

• Sponsors (?)

What everybody's saying is generally pretty accurate. You WON'T see any gains if you're having traction problems right now, as gears tend to cause more traction issues. But they are usually good for nearly .5 seconds. They don't net you any mph, just et's, since they only allow you to get to that certain speed quicker.

EDIT: Oh yea, look on your door jamb sticker, under the box marked AX, that's your axle code. And here is the definitions:

M=2.73
E=3.27
Z=3.08

sage2k said:
JMS chip? Any info/links on it?
Thanks

jmschip.com

Custom tuned chips usually are overkill for stock or slightly modified cars. I have an AODE and had serveral issues after the install of 4.10's so that is why I have one with my slightly modified car. You will see some performance gain by adding the chip but there are much better mods for the money if the chip is not requiured.

red95aodevert said:
jmschip.com

Custom tuned chips usually are overkill for stock or slightly modified cars. I have an AODE and had serveral issues after the install of 4.10's so that is why I have one with my slightly modified car. You will see some performance gain by adding the chip but there are much better mods for the money if the chip is not requiured.

I have an AODE and am planning 4.10 gears for my first mod, what issues did you run into?

sage2k said:
I have an AODE and am planning 4.10 gears for my first mod, what issues did you run into?

Shift points and rev limiter. The trans. would not shift at the correct RPM's and would often hit the rev limiter. Wasn't as much of a problem from a dead dig but at a roll if I punched the gas it would hit the limiter for sure. My stall converter most likely added to the problem. I have seen other people on here complaining of the same issues with 4.10's but others have no issues at all. Guess it's a gamble to see if you will have these issues. All things concidered I am glad I choose the 4.10's but wish I had known about the shifting issues ahead of time. Without the chip I believe I would have had a better ET with 3.73's.