1/4 mile times and trac-locs

91stangy

Jun 11, 2003
i was just wondering if it was worth doing a trac-lock rear end or if i should just throw in some gears and call it a day... did anyone pick up a significant amount of 1/4 mile time? also if you recommend doing the trac-lock which one would you go with and how much is it gonna set me back.

• Sponsors (?)

it's worth a bit without a doubt and if the diff cover is going to be off then it's crazy not to swap out the clutches for the time it takes.
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech001.htm
Mine is done as well and still she launches OK, but I know it would hook alot harder if the trac loc was working correctlyr...eventually I'll stick my head in there and geterdone but being I don't see the track I'm not overly inspired.

91stangy said:
wish i had whatever 5.0 your runnin but im pretty sure that trac-loc would mean that both tires would spin in a burn out and on launch... anyone else

All Mustang 5.0 cars had Traction Lok as stock equipment from about 1983 onwards. If you have an original 5.0 car and its original rear, then you have it. If it is not working then you need to replace the clutches as mentioned above.

Like everyone has already said your stang already has a t lok but more than likely the clutches are worn out. Get a rebuild kit and do it yourself or have someone rebuild it while having gears done.