1/4 mile times

351w fastback

Jul 25, 2004
i just went to the cedar falls raceway and my car ran a 14.41 @ 93 mph. my 60 ft. time was 2.061. i think my car should be at least in the 13 's with my setup.
351w 9.5:1 compression
trick flow twisted wedge heads
comp cams 274h cam
holley 750
weiand stealth intake
c-4 with a 2500 converter
8.8 rearend with 3.73s

my tires are pretty skinny they are 225's and i dont think my brakes can hold my converter cuz i would press the brake till about 1500 then it would start to move. what do u guys think?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I think traction would help greatly.
IMO your engine should run much better than your MPH suggests.
So IMO traction is not the only problem.
Maybe some really fine tuning...

Your ET would improve with traction, but your MPH is a sign the engine is not performing tops... at least in my mind.
Good luck
Dave

Were you there at the night of fire. I ran my Red 69 Mach1 that day in troghy class. I got beat on my first run. No traction.
Have you checked your fuel delivery system? You may need more fuel volume. That was my problem, and what a difference it made. Something I overlooked.
Where are you from? I am in Cedar Falls....

i live by austin mn. im using i think a stock carter fuel pump. i have headers with 2.5'' exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers. i put on a petronix electronic ignition and didnt reset the timing right before i went to the track so maybe thats it but its seems to run fine like it doesnt miss or anything.

As the owner of a Chassis Dyno shop we see cars all the time with the right parts but way out of tune. What's your initial and total timing set at? We've picked up as much as 90hp on cars with retarded or way advanced timing. With the parts you have you should be running 10 mph faster. I would set your timing at about 34 deg. total timing and adjust from there. If you have a vacuum advance make sure you disconnect it during timing adjustments. Let me know how you do.
Pete
www.performance-dyno.com
Here's my latest timelslip
'69 Mach 1, 393W Stroker
'03 Z06 Vette

Attachments

• 1083smaller.jpg
    1083smaller.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 118
well ill go check my timing now. my distributor is a mallory and inside u can use this black key thing to change the timing and that is set at 24 degrees but when u check it with a timing light its off the marks so should i try to set it at 10 degrees?
thanks for the help

Something is not right. I would set your ignition at 14 initial and 34 total to start with. Sort that out first. Then check your plugs to see if they are sooted or not around the rings (learn how to read a spark plug). I definitely agree with others that your MPH is way low based on your components. I would expect something in at least the 105 MPH territory with the potential for low 13’s with traction. And traction is the number 1 ingredient for low et’s; if you can’t hook you can’t get low times.

Is that a double pumper Holley? What jets are out front and back? You may want to get a professional tune and dyno session to sort things out.

well i just went out and did a little run from 0-80 mph then turned off my engine and checked my plugs and they look pretty white and they are really dry so does that mean my fuel pump cant keep up?
thanks

yeah i was thinking about putting it on a dyno too but i dont know where there is one by me. i live in southeastern mn. so if anybody could tell me where one is i would appreciate it.
thanks

if your plugs are white that means you're way lean. what kind of timing light are you checking your timing with? is it an adjustable advance one or fixed?

as 69redmach says, go get a dyno tune or at least go out on a backroad swap out jets, make another run, read the plugs, etc (or you can do this at the strip. remember MPH = HP)

there is definetally more time to be had in your combo and you'll get results once you get it dialed in.

im using a light where u point it at the balancer and it flashes on to it. not really sure what kind it is. on the balancer i see the mark tdc and a couple of lines then a space then it says 3|6 on it. i have the timing set about a third of the way between them at about 12-14 i think? could someone tell me if im doing that right. could the pump be my problem? can anyone else think of something else that i should check?
thanks

see if you can get a light that has a dial on the back. the way that will work is you set the number of degrees of advance you want (say 14) and turn the distributor until the timing mark is lined up with TDC on the balancer. once you've set the initial timing at idle, bring the RPM up until the timing quits advancing and turn the dial on the light until the timing mark is again lined up with TDC on the balancer, this is your total timing.

check your fuel filter and i'd also look into putting in larger jets in your carb.

It does sound like timing is an issue. I brought my #1 cylinder up to the top on the compression stroke. put an indicator in the hole and brought it up to true tdc. Then I checked to see if the balancer had spun. It had!! Was way off the mark. I live just north of Rochester. Where by austin do you live?? I have many relatives there. I don't know of any rear wheel dynos around this area. Cities would be the nearest that I know of. Plenty of engine dyno's though. :shrug: I might be going to cedar again on the 21st. I will try and let you know. Or if you are real interested, you could go up to the muscle car shootout in Brainerd with me and a bunch of good guys. I know between all of us we could definatly get her to run! But I would definatly look at timing right now.

I brought my #1 cylinder up to the top on the compression stroke. put an indicator in the hole and brought it up to true tdc.

That is not a very precise method. Clearances as well as the piston moving so slow at the top make it only close not exact. To find tdc use a hard stop and rotate against it in both directions. Tdc will be exactly between the two marks. If it is only a few degrees off it might be the method.