1/4 mile track progress

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
1/4 mile track progress(always updated)

NEW TIMES UPDATED 5-16-08, see below

This time around, Ive taken it slower on getting parts. My last PI car, it was harder to tell what parts were really helping me, since I was adding so many parts at a time. Throughout my build, I will be periodically undating my times as I do different mods to my car. The car is a 1997 mustang gt with an esimated 150, 000 miles on it.

Id like to do this so others can see how much these parts actually helped me in a real world situation, not just a dyno. If anybody can calculate the actual density altitude of the days somehow, let me know. That would be a great addition.

Bone Stock, crappy 2.73 gears, @San Antonio Racway-3-21-08

run 2
none
94.48mph

This was the first time to the track with this car. Ive heard horrible things about SAR not hooking, but had never experienced it. Slipping the clutch, launching low, launching high, didnt matter, the track wasnt hooking for anybody. Cars with slicks were spinning half way down the track. Def. was my last experience there.

BBK h pipe, steeda pullies, 275/40-17 drag radials, still the crappy 2.73 gears, houston Motorsports Park,3-28-08

run 4
9.19(1/8)

So I gained a full mph, and picked up .45 overall et. I know realize the car needs a gear. I made a bunch of passes, launching at 5000-6000 thousand. The car bogged hard at 11psi. I upped the presure a bit, got a tiny bit of wheel spin, which is ok, but no overall gain in my 60 foot.

Same mods as above, houston Motorsports Park3-31-08

9.1412(1/8)
76.09mph

A little cooldown on the car instead of hotlapping

BBK H pipe, Steeda Pullies, 275/40-17 drag radials, Weld skinnies,@Houston Motorsports Park, 4-06-08

2.0x
5.8X
76mph

(Maddox, if I sent you the entire run in a pm, can you post it? I dont have the timeslip or the message anymore)

I was hoping for a full tenth with the addition of the skinnies up front. Still having trouble powering the car out of the whole, not enough gear or hp to launch very well.

BBK H pipe, Steeda Pullies, PI intake, TA, 275/40 drag radials, weld skinnies, vacuum leak from fuel injectors sucking in air on #8, fan running all the time bc second sensor is not tapped@Houston Motorsports Park 4-18-08

78.67mph

78.56mph

78.77mph

Tonight was a new best, same stock clutch, 2.73 gears, and a little more HP. Last run, the stock clutch let go. Its basically butter. Crazy that in one single pass, it went from normal, to gone. The car drove home fine, but I didnt want to make anymore passes.

I ran the 17 inch drag radials at 11.5 psi. I launched at 5500-6000rpm every run. The car didnt really bog at all, nor did it spin too much. I feel this was fairly accurate.

Too bad the clutch let go, I really though the 8.7x pass was coming. I just couldn't do it with the clutch feeling like butter, and being 40 miles from the house.

same mods, as above, nothing else done 5-16-08

78.87mph!

southpadreisland004.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I actually don't have the timeslip anymore..Stangnet only allows 50 private messages so I constantly have to clean my inbox/outbox :(

What time Sunday are you going? I'll attend and give you something to run against, so I guess I will pull some weight out of the car :D I also need to fix my lovely check engine light, though that'll be a simple fix with some electrical tape :rlaugh:

Very good idea Winter and will be watching for how you do. I really found that not only what the parts are, but the order in which they are installed makes a difference, so this should be interesting. For example if you have say PI cams Intake then install TB plenum combo it would make more gains then say TB plenum alone.

What setting are you going to put the T/A at and don't forget to put the good stuff in the tank before doing so?

Side note, I can't believe they put 2:73s in our stangs. Mine luckily had the optional 3:27s, which wasn't great, but livable. Good luck with the runs!

Maddox, bright and early. Ill get there at 5pm so I can be out by 7:30-8pm. Monday is a long day for me. Better remove all the weight you can, your going to need it!

LI, thanks man for the interest. Too bad the good stuff is 4 freaking dollars a gallon, and its only 91 oct here, not 92 or 93. The gears def do stink, big time. My 98 came with 3.27's also, which is much better.

thanks stan, I always love checking out your site.

I just got done with the timing adjuster install, very easy and straight forward, took about an hour. I remember the sound it makes, pretty cool too.

Mark should be at the track tonight to get some more times. I'll be running my poor automatic aswell.

As far as I know--his mods are going to be:
Steeda timing adjusterNEW MOD
Steeda underdrive pulleys
BBK o/r h pipe with dumped stock mufflers :shrug:
PI Intake NEW MOD
2.73 factory gears :nonono:
275 drag radials mounted on his stock rear rims
and weld skinnies on the front.

Should be pretty interesting if he gets the car to run an 8. The weather here is pretty nice being that it's Mid-April and the Texas heat loves to make our times suck :)

I'd love to get a video of my ALL npi auto cracking his car at the track ;)

Mark should be at the track tonight to get some more times. I'll be running my poor automatic aswell.

As far as I know--his mods are going to be:
Steeda timing adjusterNEW MOD
Steeda underdrive pulleys
BBK o/r h pipe with dumped stock mufflers :shrug:
PI Intake NEW MOD
2.73 factory gears :nonono:
275 drag radials mounted on his stock rear rims
and weld skinnies on the front.

Should be pretty interesting if he gets the car to run an 8. The weather here is pretty nice being that it's Mid-April and the Texas heat loves to make our times suck :)

I'd love to get a video of my ALL npi auto cracking his car at the track ;)

been working on your car all day, huh? Ill see ya out there! :chair:

I just got in from the track and things didn't go so well for me :rlaugh: Ran with a passenger on the first one against a Firehawk that was bugging me. I planned on spraying against him and had a passenger in the car though wasn't able to even use spray since my O2s weren't heated enough before the run :rlaugh: Ran a 9.25at 76 on that run and lost by a car and a half :( All in good fun though :nice: Not too terrible I guess for the first run with a passenger.

2nd run I allowed the car to warm up and when it came time to activate nitrous (I was on my smallest jet btw) the fuse popped so no spray + lots of fuel = no bueno. Ran a 9.11 on that pass @ 76.60 :sigh:

Fixed my mild wiring problem and went back to get my final pass in. Everything was looking good then I checked my temp gauge and noticed it was beginning to climb. I knew it was an air pocket in the cooling system since I was toying with it during cool down. Like an idiot I squeezed the radiator hose not really thinking about it :rlaugh: After waiting about 15 mins for it to cool down enough for me to finally begin to slowly open it--the track was closed :D

Not a good night for my car :) I did get everything settled after leaving the track and got the nitrous to activate without problems. Just a mild 50 shot that pretty much owned me tonight :)