1/4 times and trap speeds

• Sponsors (?)

100 mph is good for a low 13. I'm sure if you have the right susoension you can click off a 12.99. I have gone 12.70's at 103-106. It all depends on the suspension and how you hook. There are a lot of people who will say other wise. I have a friend who traps 108/110 and he says his cars good for 11's But the best he has run is a high 12. so Everyone is different and what they think and say.

I agree with JKstang. This is assuming that everything is nearly optimized for the task. My friends dart runs 12.40's at about 108. My car did the same before I tuned it. Ran 12.50s at 110.

If the car slips off the line, it will have a slightly higher MPH assuming that nothing else changes.

I have run great trap speeds and lousy 1/4 mile times. trap speed is a good indication of power.

13.2 @ 115
13.1 @ 104
12.6 @ 114

A good portion of the 1/4 mile time is 60ft. Nail that and you will be pleased with your times. I have never cut better than a 1.9x on drag radials and have run as bad as 2.4 on them. I have only made about 10 runs total in both NA and SC form. 100 mph probably translates to 270-280 rwhp.

I admit I am not the best driver and that with a top notch driver my car would have been upto 2-3 tenths faster. But everytime my trap speeds where always within a 1/2 mph at any given power level. So the power was there but not the skill or experience. :shrug:

scotty230 said:
what do u recomend for a good suspension setup i am trapping 100 mph right now and only running 14.0 and 13.9s on street tires but its ina vert too

There are so many factors that are involed with this and what you run at the track. 1. ditch the street tires 2. set the car to able to take abuss of the track. I come off the starting line at 6000 rpms and shift about that little under it. Here is a link to my little webpage and everything I have done to the car as far as motor and suspension. http://www.cardomain.com/id/jkstang78

Another thing to do is to make the car as light as possiable. For me I striped almost everything out of mine. Because it is a street/strip car. I drove around without heat for 2 years, But I put it back in this year because I plan on driving the car this winter instead of my Lightning. I rather wreck my mustang if I had the choice.

MattZ281LE said:
I have run great trap speeds and lousy 1/4 mile times. trap speed is a good indication of power.

13.2 @ 115
13.1 @ 104
12.6 @ 114

A good portion of the 1/4 mile time is 60ft. Nail that and you will be pleased with your times. I have never cut better than a 1.9x on drag radials and have run as bad as 2.4 on them. I have only made about 10 runs total in both NA and SC form. 100 mph probably translates to 270-280 rwhp.

I admit I am not the best driver and that with a top notch driver my car would have been upto 2-3 tenths faster. But everytime my trap speeds where always within a 1/2 mph at any given power level. So the power was there but not the skill or experience. :shrug:

This is absolutely true. Your trap speed is is directly related to your hp to the wheels. E.T. is how your car reacts to the power and it's ability to use it. You drop a tenth of the 60ft, and it will gain more than one tenth in the 1/4. This is why some with no suspension or slicks run 12 at 120. I have run a 12.5 at only 104. But that is with good 60 ft. times. As I jetted up and made more hp, the trap speed went up. A coupe and you run the same mph, you would acutally more hp no matter what the E.T. is. You are heavier and it takes more Hp to propel a heavier car.

if you're a good driver and can hook up pretty good, i think 100 mph is good for low to mid 13's. should only take about 103 to 105 mph to get into the high 12 second range. mid 12's probably need about 105 to 108 mph. of course, not everyone has their suspension dialed in. they may not being running to their potential, so add a couple mph to those numbers to run the same times.

thanks guys, i think iw ill work on the suspesion and finish the motor up i still need to put in an intake, tbody and little **** like that
oh by the way my 60ft times are like 2.1

Yes tractions a big deal...

I was pulling 1.75-1.78 60's and with 106.5 mph traps the car went 12.63-12.74.

The next time out I was pulling 1.69 60's (didnt touch the suspension) and with 105.6 traps it ran 12.56-12.62!

100 mph is good for 13.3s with good traction, Id say, your gonna need 103 or so to go 12s, and mid 12s 105+.

Isn't it for every .1 off the 60ft it's good for .2 off the ET? That is a standard rule, kind of like .1 off for every 100lbs. Power is useless unless you can put it on the ground and controll it. If someone gets a couple car lenghts in front of you off the line, unless your car is whole lot faster than thiers, your not going to catch them. I race the 1/8th, and no where else it that the truth.