1:45pm Monday, Oct 24 2005...........

Your car sounds mean.

I hope to be able to test fire my new combo in the next month or so also. I kinda feel like I have misled everyone with all the things in my signature as I have had all the parts but have only recently made any progress toward getting it back on the road (its been 4 years). I pulled the engine/C4 and 8" out thinking that since I was starting my own business I would have time to work on it during the day right here in my showroom but that obviously didnt work out since I have luckly been too busy. I have been on here often and yall have been a wealth of information but in the coming months I will be posting much more for additional help. Thanks in advance!:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

sounds great, sounds just like mine when i took my exhaust off and ran open headers around the block,except i could not get on the gas cuz my dad could hear me and would kill me if i jumped on it in the neighborhood like that...but sounds great, i vote to run with no exhaust all the time :)

I remember when I first put my headers on the mach. Was really the first mod I had done to the car. Was 1 am, Ronstang said "it is a great feeling and you'll never forget your first time but you will piss people off so start it up later, but its up to you"(nudge, nudge, after the saying what the responsible adult would say, so no guilt there). We all know what happened next. I had to start it, and not only did I start it, but gave it a good couple revs!! Shook the whole damn house!! Then my parents come running out the door of the house into the garage, and let the cursing go on me. Oh it was so well worth it though, I'll never forget what it was like.

D.Hearne said:
Or you fire it in the garage and stuff starts falling off shelves from the vibrations:SNSign: while you've got a bunch a teenage boys watching , who are experiencing this stuff for the first time:D

My dad and I got in a heap of trouble from my mom when we started up my '65 for the first time with open headers and that happened. The garage shared a wall with the kitchen and that wall had cupboards full of dishes.:rlaugh:I was also that teenager experiencing it for the first time :D.

Thanls for the kind words everyone. :nice

Just an update everyone.

I found out at aleast partially why it falls on its face after tip-in; I set the timing with the vacuum connected and on top of that, that was manifold vacuum, not ported :rolleyes:. If anything, it was getting retard when I open the throttle. My 650 doesnt have a vacuum port in the metering block, but my old man has one that does so I'm going to trade blocks. I put 67 jets in the primary side before I knew any of that, but I'm going to keep them there and see if its rich or lean. My plans include getting the exhaust mostly done today too(2.5", X-pipe, 28" Thrush glasspacks, side exit), so stay tuned!

Another update since this has become my unofficial car-building journal;

I put the exhaust on between yesterday and today. Due to some serious miscalculation of space and skill, I did not have room for the x-pipe AND side exits. As a result, I picked non-crossover side-exit glasspack exhaust like the "GT350" kit you can buy. Its loud, but sounds like a truck and I probably paid more than the kit costs plus all the work.:notnice: After sorting out the ignition and jetting, its fast and I guess that makes up for looking and sounding nasty. I'm going to put an H crossover in when I have more time and eventually get a shop to put in the X pipe and and tails out the back.

Its been two weeks, but what the hell. Here are some current pics now that its actually legal($417 later :eek:) and sitting level. Those sidepipes are loud and the passenger rear tire has less tread than these pics show :D.

100_0139.jpg

100_0141.jpg

Still ironing the issues out. My secondary accelerator pump is leaking and I cant figure out why. I pulled the bowl and made sure the pump screws were snug, but its still seeping.

Attachments

• 100_0139.jpg
    100_0139.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_0141.jpg
    100_0141.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 40
Ummm, that's not a 65 and you have a ways to go before I'd call it a Shelby clone...LOL...just giving you chit!

I like what you did with the license plate though. Get a locker and you can loose tread on both tires evenly too :D

Edbert said:
Ummm, that's not a 65 and you have a ways to go before I'd call it a Shelby clone...LOL...just giving you chit!

I like what you did with the license plate though. Get a locker and you can loose tread on both tires evenly too :D

Yeah, that sounds about right. I get no respect! :D

I figured just blanking the plate out would look lame, so I did that. I have a 9" 3.50 T-lok center section waiting for a housing right now. I have to be careful even on dry pavement with the 3.00 open.

65ShelbyClone said:
My secondary accelerator pump is leaking and I cant figure out why. I pulled the bowl and made sure the pump screws were snug, but its still seeping.

If it's a Holley, check the pump cover. Most I have seen that leak have been warped by previous owners overtightening the screws. Doesn't take much, maybe 0.002"-0.003" at most for them to leak (IIRC). I made a die that allowed me to straighten them out years ago from a hollowed block of steel. It was kind of a 50/50 deal, sometimes it worked, and sometimes the cover would crack. Don't know what the cost is now, but back then they were cheap, so I never really worried about heating things up.

YMMV

Scott

I should probably have a website to document all this, but hey, it beat starting a new thread every time I do something.

I got the carb fixed about a week ago. I just changed the rear bowl and it stopped leaking.

I put on a Mustangs Plus 1 1/8" front swaybar.....
View attachment 493337

and a set of 15x7 Mopar wheels with 225-60 rubber. 14x5 on left, 15x7 on right:
14x5vs15x7.jpg

View attachment 493341

I also have some Grab-A-Track 620 front coils I just got as well as a Granada swap just about ready to go in. Also going to do a Shelby drop, but I'm undecided on the 1" or 1 3/4" drop....It will probably depend on if I can get access to a mill to build my own (stainless) negative wedge kit.

Attachments

• 14x5vs15x7.jpg
    14x5vs15x7.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 47
Those are the Mopar Police car wheels, right? :D If so, then we think along the same lines. I did those on my 67 fastback, back in the 80's. Painted black with raised white letter tires that gave it the "Nascar" look. Really went well with the Acapulco Blue paint.:nice: I'm looking for an extra set of 05-06 GT aluminum wheels to do the same with my new 06. They're a $195 option, but you'd think they were double that to the people trying to sell almost new take offs.:notnice:

I really have no idea what Chrysler product they originally came from. They have scratches where either beauty rings or hubcaps were. I think it was something from the late '60s or early '70s. My budget isnt ready for Torque Thrusts or Vintage 48s, so I thought I would go with the "old budget roadracer" look for now. I was going to set of D-hole new black wheels, but thought $70 each was a little high.

The tires are not-quite-worn-out ones that came off my '89GT when I had it. Goodyear Gatorbacks on the rear and Futuras on the front. "Budget" racecar, remember!

The Mopar police car wheels have 5 oval slots in them. And if you mount them on a wheel balance machine without tires or weights, they'll come up neutral every time. Summit list's at least one brand of "D" hole steel wheels for about $35-45 a piece.

D.Hearne said:
The Mopar police car wheels have 5 oval slots in them. And if you mount them on a wheel balance machine without tires or weights, they'll come up neutral every time. Summit list's at least one brand of "D" hole steel wheels for about $35-45 a piece.
Then these are probably just passenger car wheels. They are exactly like my stock Ford 14s only larger.

View attachment 493203

Does Summit have the wheels in the same size? For some reason I thought the 15x7s were at least $60 a piece. I know the Cragars were $69.99 both at Summit and locally. Its alright, these were a Christmas gift :D. My dad was going to put them on his '57 two door Custom 300 with just dog dish caps, but decided on TTDs instead.