1.6 Scorpion PEDESTAL MOUNT Rockers

Joes95GT

Jan 23, 2003
Delaware
Are any of you guys running Scorpion 1.6:1 PEDESTAL MOUNT Rocker arms with the stock 94-95 VCs? I haven't heard of anyone running their pedestal mount versions, and they don't look like they would fit. I don't want to go through the hassle of using FOX VCs and a GT40 manifold if I don't have to. Thanks guys.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Joe, were your rockers the Scorpion brand? I've seen other brand pedestal mount rockers, and then I've seen Scorpion brand pedestal mounts. The Scorpions seem HUGE compared to another pedestal mount rocker (i.e. FMS). I don't want to screw with FOX VCs because then I need a spacer for the manifold, and quite frankly, I don't feel like paying the 50 bucks for the stupid thing. It may even cut down on my RPMs and I need all the RPM I can get with the cam that Ed made me.

Joe

i have seen fox covers clear both the gt40 and holley intakes without the use fo a spacer (the holley intake is huge). you should be able to get away with not using a spacer. as far as fit goes, they look like they could fit with some minor modification, but i chose to just buy the valve covers from afm instead of dealing with the hassle. btw, joe was running the scorpions even though his looked a bit different than the pedestal mount rockers i got from scorpion.

Prior to my Crane 1.7's, I had the Scorpion 1.6 ped. mount rockers. They would not clear my stock 94-95 valve covers. So I ordered a set of VC's from a 91 Fox body. They wouldn't clear those either. We ended up sending the set of 91 covers to a machine shop to be milled out for clearance. They finally worked, but the valvetrain was noisy as all get out. One of the Scorpions failed on me, I switched to Crane 1.7's to pick up some extra lift, and life has been good ever since (plus the valvetrain got quieter despite the extra lift).

Joe, I don't think you'll get the scorpions to fit under the stock valve covers, my FMS ones wouldn't even fit until I took a ball peen hammer to them... now they do! I run a felpro 1645 (I think that's the number) VC gasket as its much thicker than stock. You must either compress it before installing it with the stock bolts, or get longer ones. I bought longer studs from moroso but with the stud on there, the valve cover would NOT go on, so I rounded out the VC holes and how they leak. I put RTV around them and it has helped, but they still leak slowly. I ran into a guy at SSOTN named turbomike and he told me about a place that makes relatively inexpensive sheet metal VC's, you might want to look for him over there or on TM.com

VibrantRedGT said:
AFM, the ones Rog just ordered are steel and they clear all rockers (they claim). They are also chrome and sell for $68. I'll probably go with these this time around.
they were $80 shipped. the only thing is that because of the elbow, they may not clear the intake without a spacer. ill be the test pig and let you guys know in a few days how it turns out.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to go with the Fox VCs. I was always under the impression that you needed an intake spacer with a GT40 style manifold and Fox VCs. Didn't someone just do a head swap where they needed taller VCs and when they bought Fox VCs they didn't fit? Maybe it's my imagination again.

Jordan, I really hope you had some set of freak valve covers or something. My Dad's got a MIG/TIG welder so if I have to modify the valve covers, I will just cut 'em and weld in some extra height.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Joe

Joe,

I've been told that there are 2 styles of the Fox VC's. There are some with ribs and some without. One style has more clearance on the inside and work really well for aftermarket rocker arms, so I'm thinking I got ahold of a set that had the ribs on the inside and that's why they wouldn't clear.

Good luck,
Jordan

Imyourzero said:
Joe,

I've been told that there are 2 styles of the Fox VC's. There are some with ribs and some without. One style has more clearance on the inside and work really well for aftermarket rocker arms, so I'm thinking I got ahold of a set that had the ribs on the inside and that's why they wouldn't clear.

Good luck,
Jordan
But once you took the ribs out, they worked?

Joe