1.7 rockers always tick like a sewing machine?

BYRDPE

Founding Member
Nov 4, 1998
Memphis,Tn.
I checked the geometry during the install and they still sound like a sewing machine. :(
I'm going start it up and loosen them up one at a time and retorque to 18-22 ftlb or so to see if they will quiet down.
Is anyone else experienced this? If so what did you do to quiet them down. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I've got the exact same issue with my 1.6 pedestal mount RR's. From the research I've done on the issue, a certain amount of the "sewing machine" noise seems to be unavoidable. Some people seem to have success with retorquing them or changing the pushrod length.

Post your results after retorquing :nice:

I've got the exact same issue with my 1.6 pedestal mount RR's. From the research I've done on the issue, a certain amount of the "sewing machine" noise seems to be unavoidable. Some people seem to have success with retorquing them or changing the pushrod length.

Post your results after retorquing :nice:

Will do....

Thanks

read the aritcles below in the links i posted pushrod length can be a factor in your valvetrain noise links describe how to check and what to look for also if the valvetrain geometry is off you can Build your own homemade adjustable checking pushrod. Take a common 5/16-inch OD stock-type pushrod, cut in two, tap each end internally with 1/4-20 thread, and insert a piece of 1/4-20 threaded rod between the two cut ends...

http://www.circletrack.com/techarti...m_valvetrain_geometry/roller_tip_rockers.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0401_setting_pushrod_length/index.html

What brand of rollers are they? ... I made the mistake way back in buying a cheapass set of proform roller rockers and there was NO way to get them to quiet down unless you did go to the extent of getting different length pushrods even though they said "bolt on"

Yep...mine are Crane rockers also. I also checked the geometry during the install.
Has anyone tried to adjust the with the engine running?

i don't know how safe it would be loosening a rocker arm when the engine is running. i dunno though. yeah it makes me really paranoid when i drive around. i'm always worried a lifter is gonna be tapping or something else and i won't be able to hear it or i get it confused with the rocker arm noise. does anyone else's get a little louder once your car is warmed up?