1.7 rockers

They're hard to find, but occasionally someone will dyno before/after just a ratio/rocker change. Two recent ones in Mustang-related magazines came up with the following results - and they are the biggest and smallest changes I've seen related to just a rocker change. One added 1.7's to a reasonably modified 5.0L normally aspirated. It had the 'usual' - heads, cam, intake, exhaust mods. Addition of the 1.7 rollers actually caused a loss of 1HP at peak. Throughout the range, there was basically no difference before and after - some points it was up by a HP, some points it was down by a HP. CarCraft recently built a carbed motor based on a stock block HO 5.0L with HO cam, AFR165 heads. Addition of 1.7's added 17HP to their set up - they attributed it to the fact that the head wanted all the additional lift it could get.

For your stock engine, if you're getting them inexpensively, they probably won't hurt anything and I'd install them. However, I wouldn't get to excited about potential gains. If you pick up 5HP at peak, I'd consider that a win - so be sure you're getting them cheap.

• Sponsors (?)

Gearbanger 101 said:
Some, but those stock heads are killing you!

yeah i know. but i really cant afford to not have my car for more than two days or so. especially since the guy who does all my work can only do it at night when he gets off work. so a head job would take him a week to do. how much does it cost to get a set of heads ported? maybe i can do that over my spring break since i wont need my car anyway. except that will probably take more than a week to do. any suggestions

You might want to PM thumper460. He's the man to speak to in regards to E7TE's. He's got himself a nice little business going and should be able to turn a set of castings around for you in no time. If you want to save a few bucks....while you have the heads off, you might want to PM tmoss and have him port a lower stock intake manifold for you. After all is said and done, a properly ported stock intake manifold should flow as well as a comparable Cobra at a fraction of the cost. I've personally got ported E7TE's and welded/ported lower intake (all done by myself), 1.7rr, full Mac exhaust, home build CAI, gears, pullies, etc, etc and my car screams. It's a lot faster than other cars with a lot more expensive parts in them. Just don't be fooled into thinking that because it's got modified stock parts, isn't an expensive aftermarket casting, or doesn't flow the highest peek figures, that it's not going to run. That's a common mistake that often leaves people with empty wallets and sad expressions on their face after a guy with a minimum wage Mustang wipes the floor with them.:nice:

The stock lower intake is a big bottle neck to flow - tmoss' ported lower, or a Cobra intake will likely make a much more noticeable difference than the rockers. If you only have $100 to spend, tmoss' ported lower will likely leave you smiling more than the rockers will.

Michael Yount said:
The stock lower intake is a big bottle neck to flow - tmoss' ported lower, or a Cobra intake will likely make a much more noticeable difference than the rockers. If you only have $100 to spend, tmoss' ported lower will likely leave you smiling more than the rockers will.

well i think im gonna go with a cobra upper and lower anyways. well that is if i can get the money.