1/8 mile times....

• Sponsors (?)

I also hit the track for the first time with my car last night at Rockingham Dragway. It seems me and you have nearly the same times, so let me share what I have with ya out of my 4 total runs....

first 2 runs...

R/t .767
60' 2.263
330 6.147
1/8 9.323
MPH 77.49
1/4 14.320
MPH 98.71

R/t .721
60' 2.331
330 6.240
1/8 9.410
MPH 77.63
1/4 14.398
MPH 100.76
(this run is similar to yours)

3rd run...

R/t .686
60' 2.334
330 6.285
1/8 9.466
MPH 77.64
1/4 14.451
MPH 100.55

I ran this back-to-back with the 2nd run, which I believe the heat killed my time in the 1/4.

Final...

R/t .509
60' 2.316
330 6.167
1/8 9.298
MPH 78.90
1/4 14.250
MPH 97.13

This last run was the 1st of eliminations in Trophy Street class. I dialed in 14.30 thinking I couldn't beat it. It was nearly an hour later before our class started and the weather got cold (and I also had my hood open). I ran a 4th gen Camaro that beat me with his 12.25@113mph. But nevertheless, my car which had cooled had put me in for a surprise of running them numbers AND I backed off the throttle at the last 100ft when I realized the camaro was in my rearview (and trying not to break my dial-in) Big mistake! As I heard my engine rpms rev down the 4rth gen passed me at the finish. It wouldn't have mattered anyhow cuz I still would have broke out. But I'm curious as to what I would have run. I ran 97mph on this run as a result of letting off (and clearly my worst), and at the same time I came out with the quickest time of the night.

I don't know if I helped you any by posting my times, but I can tell you the value of cooling your car down (well at least in my case). Maybe someone else can help us both out here that has been there and done that.

One question to all... how exactly is our times for our mods? Are we running what we should and/or how much quicker can we expect with practice. Any helpful feedback would be much appreciated.

ps- my car just hit 1000 miles on the odometer....whether that has any effect on my times, i dunno?

DaddyGSP0T, you definately have the potential to be faster with those mods. 8's are easily possible with practice.

Oldskooler79, if you empty out your trunk and give it some practice, you have the potential to run a high 13 in the 1/4 mile as its been done before.

Dark Knight GT said:
DaddyGSP0T, you definately have the potential to be faster with those mods. 8's are easily possible with practice.

Oldskooler79, if you empty out your trunk and give it some practice, you have the potential to run a high 13 in the 1/4 mile as its been done before.

yeah...im sure after a couple runs ill get the hang of it because i only ran 2 times at the 1/8 it was too damn packed ....next time i should have atleast 5 - 6 runs in atleast

Slicks

Slicks should take .2 off your '60 and get you in the 8s.

See if you shift just before the trap.
Also, a 26 inch ET street is taller than a stock tire,it will allow you more speed before your car needs to shift into the next gear.

This was an issue with my car in the 1/4 mile with 4.10s;it would shift into overdrive just before the trap.

Spray(a lot) and youll be in the 7s. :D

DaDDyGSp0T said:
i rev it to like 2000 while holding the brake .. i have auto when i see the green i let go of the brake

ahh i missed that you were a auto. well if i were you i would leave at a lower rpm & play with it a bit to see what gives you the best results, or get stickier tires one or the other :nice:

c2see21 said:
how are you leaving the line?

i.e. - are you reving it to 3 grand & dumping the clutch, or what?

I just take off from idle, kinda ride the clutch for a split second and nail it. Just like I would from a traffic light. This is probably why I can only cut a 2.3 60'. I keep worrying that if I dump the clutch I will light them up on stock tires. I know I'm wrong I just need to get out and practice this.

Looks like you all already know that the 60 ft is the most important. 2.00 flat 60's are very do'able in a stone stock GT, maybe not consistently. 8.90's are just down the track w/ those 60's, stock. I have done it many times but took me a year or two punishing a stock GT every test and tune night to learn the car and track. I learned, for me, doing a 2nd gear rolling burn out(no brake) and going straight to stage and leaving at 3-3500 rpm and slip the clutch until you feel the tires bite and short shift 2nd at 5k rpm and shift the rest at 5400-5600. Good luck.