1 of 50 consoles made????

NotoriousGT350

Founding Member
Apr 3, 2001
Lubbock, TX
Ok, I haven't been in this forum since I sold my 65' stang last year in August. I just found some floppys with pics of my car. Two years ago a friend of mine past away. He grew up during the muscle car era was a Ford die hard fan and mustang at that. He had owned 5 mustangs in his lifetime. He gave me a console he put in his 65' mustang back in 1965. If I remember correctly, he told me there were only 50 made and he call up north to order it(Michigan???, don't remember). I think he said he bought the 49th, maybe 48th one. I had a couple of mustang guys say they have never seen a console like mine and wanted to get some info. I was finally able to host my pics on a site. Here is one of the console and my old car.

console_2.jpg

goodside.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

hey man long time no hear from. i know that console is rare but i don't know how rare, i've only ever seen one besides yours and that was on ebay, so i know it has to be somewhat rare at least now anyway, not sure about back then. you might want to get with some of the guys in the mustang club or maybe even ask the MCA :shrug: BTW, i finally got my car to the paint shop back in july, hopefully it will be ready in the next month or so

Made of aluminum I believe. It's light, so I'm guessing so. Guess you could say it's a tray. I just thought console it's it has the drink holders and a few open spots to put whatever you want there. Like me, I put some change. Could say it's an 'old' type of console.

I still have it. Will never get rid of it. Just would like some info on it.

NotoriousGT350 said:
I still have it. Will never get rid of it. Just would like some info on it.

That's good to hear.

A comment about your 89. You might want to put on some turn downs or tail pipes. The ground effects can trap the hot exhaust and cause your gas tank to heat up. FYI.

He gave me other things and let me know I can have whatever I wanted after he passed away. Got a few model cars, and a nice Mustang belt buckle with engraved production numbers on the back.

I need to get some dumps. I don't want my rear end heating up either. I'll have to do that sometime.

I remember he had a couple of brothers that are also into mustangs and ask if he would give it to them. They didn't bother or cared about coming to visit him in his last few days. I was there at the house as he passed.

Me and my ex at the time would go to drag races, car shows to record and take pics so he could see them. I've rented the new version of "Gone in 60 Seconds" for him and he enjoyed it. He was a collector of many things, especially Ford. He was a quadraplegic after a roll over in the late 70s.

1320stang said:
That'd be kind of a cool thing to repop. Maybe turn the horse around so it doesn't look like your trying to pass it off as an original.

"Repop"?

I never notice how the horse is facing the opposite direction. I remember hearing a story once, don't know where about at one time the horse was facing the other direction?? Don't know if Ford changed their mind or what :shrug:

Know any websites in particulary that could help me out?

J.R.

worth, that pretty much is the whole piece, at the end you can't see it looks just like the other end. i have seen that console in person it is pretty cool, polish it up a bit especially the pony and maybe add some matching/contrasting paint on it somewhere and it would be a real show stopper.

bnickel said:
worth, that pretty much is the whole piece, at the end you can't see it looks just like the other end. i have seen that console in person it is pretty cool, polish it up a bit especially the pony and maybe add some matching/contrasting paint on it somewhere and it would be a real show stopper.

There's maybe an inch left off on the pic WORTH. I'm just going to keep it until I can get another early 65-66 mustang in the future to put it on, then I will let it shine.

Anyone a member of the www.vintage-mustang.com that 69fb00GT posted and maybe can link this thread and post it on their forum? I just don't want to register since I no longer have my 65'. Might just see if I can get a hold of someone.

J.R.

Damn, that was the other thing I wanted to comment on, the reversed horse logo. Ford purposely made the horse face left, something about that was the way the tracks run in europe or something and this car targeting that audience, something like that I recall. Honestly, seeing it like this almost would make me suspect that this isn't a ford item at all actually. I just can't see them doing it with a reverse casting for any good reason.

Pakrat said:
Damn, that was the other thing I wanted to comment on, the reversed horse logo. Ford purposely made the horse face left, something about that was the way the tracks run in europe or something and this car targeting that audience, something like that I recall. Honestly, seeing it like this almost would make me suspect that this isn't a ford item at all actually. I just can't see them doing it with a reverse casting for any good reason.

Me too.

Not quite the same console, but...

As stated, not a Ford item, but definitely rare. Here is an excerpt from a Febuary, 1965 JC Whitney advertisement for a similar item:

jcwconsoletray.jpg

This is the first time I've seen a version with cup holders; would love to come across one for myself.