1 Quart too much in Aod trans

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
I recently filled up my auto trans after I took my motor out. The car is an 86 and is all stock. I think I put one too many quarts in the trans when I topped it off. The car runs and drives. When it shifts it shifts like it has a shift kit, but I know it doesnt. Also after I drive it I noticed a little leak that looks like its coming front between the motor and trans. I havent climbed under there to look yet. what happens if there is too much trans fluid in there? Can it damage anything? Also does the hard shifts sound like the trans needs an adjustment? Maybe too much fludi? As always thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

The hard shifting it likely a kick down adjustment (I know it is for Chrysler's, not sure about Fords). Too much fluid in an automatic can cause you to blow the seals out of it. This will make it hold tranny fluid like a fork. Have you checked the dipstick to make sure it isn't overfilled?

You're probably low on fluid since you have a leak. Check your level again. Let the fluid settle in the tube. If you don't you might think it is over full when really it isn't. Low fluid level will cause a hard shift.

I adjusted the TV cable and now the hard shifting has gone away. I am still leaking fluid and the fluid is still high. The fluid looks like it is leaking out from the inspection cover. Maybe the front seal is shot? Or running out because its overfull?

I adjusted the TV cable and now the hard shifting has gone away. I am still leaking fluid and the fluid is still high. The fluid looks like it is leaking out from the inspection cover. Maybe the front seal is shot? Or running out because its overfull?

Okay, let's back up... why did you adjust the TV cable? From everything you have told me, especially since you said you have a fluid leak, that you have a low fluid level. I know it seems pretty basic, but are you checking the level properly? I have had several customers over the years that had a concern, yet there wasn't anything wrong. Make sure that you wipe off excess fluid from the dipstick, then recheck. Make sure that the engine/trans is up to operating temperature, and that the vehicle is level, and it's in park. If you lowered the TV pressure and there wasn't a problem, you're just burning up your clutches.

I know this seems basic, but so often people don't know how to check fluid levels.

I'm not a professional mechanic but I've always been told that you check the tranny fluid level while the engine is running at operating temperature. Also to adjust your TV just right, disconnect it from the tb and the loosen the black connector so the cable slides freely through it. I think it's on the bottom of it. (Only did it once and it was a long time ago) but you'll figure it out. Then push the cable toward the firewall to put slack in the cable and then pull it back until the exact moment the slack comes out. Reattach to the tb and tighten her down. Sorry if you already knew this but alot of people make that simple mistake and toast thier trannys.

Okay, let's back up... why did you adjust the TV cable? From everything you have told me, especially since you said you have a fluid leak, that you have a low fluid level. I know it seems pretty basic, but are you checking the level properly? I have had several customers over the years that had a concern, yet there wasn't anything wrong. Make sure that you wipe off excess fluid from the dipstick, then recheck. Make sure that the engine/trans is up to operating temperature, and that the vehicle is level, and it's in park. If you lowered the TV pressure and there wasn't a problem, you're just burning up your clutches.

I know this seems basic, but so often people don't know how to check fluid levels.

I checked the trans fluid while the car was in park and at operating temp. The level was high. I drove the car around at first and it felt like it had a shift kit in it. It does not. I adjusted the tv cable, and the hard shifts went away. I am still leaking fluid and the fluid is still high. It looks like it is leaking from the inspection cover. I think that the front seal maybe be shot, or may have been damaged when I accidently bolted the motor up to the trans and the converter was not in all the way. I did NOT start the car like this. I took out the motor and got it in correctly, however I wonder if I damaged the front seal.